Drainage when laying pipe not possible

Old 03-20-08, 08:04 AM
Drainage when laying pipe not possible

Hi all, my backyard slopes down away from my house to a relatively level common area shared by four backyards, lots of leafy trees, and the occasional dumping of yard debris. The general slope of the yard (once it reaches my back fence) is laterally along the fence and out of the yard, the slope is very slight.

Along my back fence, I get quite a bit of water pooling during heavy rains. Possibly from a number of factors.

1) Yard debris and year after year of these huge trees dropping leaves does not make the best drainage situation behind the back fence, but realistically there's nothing I can do about that...not going to rake a wooded area.

2) The slope of the yard once it reaches the back fence is VERY slight.

3) I have gutter extensions coming off my house aiming towards the back fence, could these be adding to the problem?

4)My neighbor's sump pump drains downhill towards my yard, but its the natural direction runoff would flow anyway, so not sure if I have case against him.

5) The soil is compacted and very hard, not allowing good drainage.

I have thought about putting in some gravel and piping, but as mentioned, the large trees have roots that would be right where I need to dig.

So what can I do? Would aerating/loosening the soil and planting some grass help?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-08, 09:59 AM
Hi. Sounds like youíre in a typical suburban subdivision. Is there a rear yard public storm sewer inlet nearby? If so, how far? If itís a newer sub (less than 30 yrs) Iím sure thereís one within a couple hundred feet. You might have to go into other people's yards to find it. Is the back area a drainage easement? Check your Plat. You should have a Plat of Survey with your mortgage documents. If not, you can obtain one from the village. Where do you live? Does it freeze in the winter? Do you have a homeowners' association? How strong is the association or your villge? Rural villages are usually weak. Affluent villages are usually very strong.

Old 04-18-08, 11:59 PM
Help I am drowning

I bought the house I have less than a year ago. my yard sits lower slope wise than the propertys behind me and to the east of me. One of the properties behind me has built up proberty were there is an almost 5' retaining wall that is sliding into my property. there also is a slope slight one away from my house so in the middle of my yard and on the east side of my house is very soggy. these houses most were built in the 60's so I see one drain inlet which is across the street in front of my house.And then there isn't any drains for at least 2 blocks in any direction. the worst thing is the drain across the street from me is the lowest grade. So water comes from my backyard which is the south and the street infront of my house slopes down to basically the end of my driveway from both east and west. I have one drain in my back yard but it isn't taking all the water. so basically I get everyones run off from the street behind me because those properties sit up higher. I called the city and they don't seem to want to solve the problem the city engineer came out and then called me and told me that they couldn't put an inlet on my side of the street for a year. which comes to my other problem water runs down in my back yard from 3 other properties runs through the pipe that runs from my back yard to the front of my yard to the street and then pools in the street until enough water reaches the crest of the street to go across the street to the inlet.... please give me some suggestions. isn't there someone else higher than the city.

Old 04-23-08, 10:51 AM
Originally Posted by keniz138 View Post

3) I have gutter extensions coming off my house aiming towards the back fence, could these be adding to the problem?

4)My neighbor's sump pump drains downhill towards my yard, but its the natural direction runoff would flow anyway, so not sure if I have case against him.

5) The soil is compacted and very hard, not allowing good drainage.

I have thought about putting in some gravel and piping, but as mentioned, the large trees have roots that would be right where I need to dig.

So what can I do? Would aerating/loosening the soil and planting some grass help?
Keniz, I would recommend you core aerate your yard to improve drainage of your compacted soil.

You might also consider tying your downspouts into a drain system and having the water drain into a dry well.
http://www.askthebuilder.com/175_Dry...ch_Drain.shtml

A MultiFlow system might also work for you.
http://www.michaelholigan.com/depart...GNT9PBV4N9512#

Newt

Old 04-23-08, 11:04 AM
Skaller, I would think the city engineer would answer to the planning and zoning commission. Have you contacted them?

Newt