Backyard beach: Sand, disappearing streams?

Old 03-20-08, 03:22 PM

I haven't been able to find much on this, so perhaps there are drawbacks I haven't thought about. Please let me know what you think.

I want to turn my backyard (or part of it anyway) into a beach-type setting. I've always wanted to live by water, but can't afford to and I'm tired of watering a lawn I never use.
My little grandkids would also love to play in the sand, and disappearing streams being shallow would be safer.

I think it would take about 10,000 lbs. of sand for a 20 x 20 ft. area. Should I even approach a landscaper with this, or am I nuts? LOL Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-08, 03:27 PM
Group Moderator
I would ask. Of course you might actually BE nuts, but I'm guessing most landscapers have probably already heard of anything you might ask.

Is the yard accessible for a large truck? Moving that much sand would be quite qa chore if you had to wheelbarrow it from the street.

The sand will be measured in cubic yards, aka "yards".

Old 03-20-08, 03:48 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
One thing to consider would be is there anything to retain the sand if the wind does much blowing? You might also want to check and make sure there is no ordinace against what you want to do.

btw - welcome to the forums!

Old 03-20-08, 03:59 PM

Also, make sure you have an outdoor shower before they try to come into your house. Damp sand can stick to everything.

Dick

Old 03-20-08, 10:03 PM
Thanks for the welcome, and your replies! Wind, accessibility, outdoor shower, etc. you brought up some very good points. Definitely something to think about.

Old 03-20-08, 10:39 PM
Hi JackieLee,

Sounds like a fun idea. Something else for you to think about though...Is your yard fenced? The reason I'm asking is that if you have any cats in your neighborhood they'll make a beeline for the sand and use it as their personal litterbox. Not something you'd like your grandchildren to play in.

Sorry to be a party-pooper!

Old 03-21-08, 05:26 AM
Group Moderator
Oooooh, good point, Suzy.

Old 03-22-08, 12:51 AM
Suzy, another good point! The neighborhood catbox is not what I had in mind, LOL. I'm completely fenced, thankfully.

Old 03-22-08, 04:31 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Most cats are pretty good at getting over or past a fence.

Old 03-23-08, 07:47 AM
That's why God invented BB guns... (okay - I'll leave the thread alone.... )

Old 03-24-08, 10:05 AM
Have you considered pea gravel? It accumulates less weeds than sand. Causes less of a mess with the kids, and is less susceptible to wind erosion. It doesn't make great castles, but it's just as fun to dig in and play with trucks and such.

Old 03-25-08, 11:11 PM
I haven't considered pea gravel, though it would have some advantages, now that you mention it. I just love sand, walking and playing in it. Laying on the sand listening to the sound of a babbling brook, maybe a little waterfall, would be so relaxing.

Old 03-26-08, 02:14 AM
Hi Everyone!
I'm new here, my name is Heather!

JackieLee-Speaking from experience-my first reaction would be-DON'T DO IT!!!
UNLESS-you have a lot of time (year round) to devote to maintaining your backyard beach.

Here is my story. I live in a residential area on about a 1/4 of an acre. Fenced backyard with neighbors on all sides. About 4 or 5 years ago my Dad had a similar idea. There is grass about a 1/3 of the way into the backyard from the house. Then a little fence made of small wooden pillars of various heights (4"-6") separates the grass from the sand. The DUMP TRUCK LOAD (1 ton I think)of pure white beach sand from Panama City Beach(where I live). Unloaded on my driveway-that cracked from the weight-and hauled to the back one wheelbarrow load at a time. There is a boardwalk out to the back right corner of the yard where the hot tub is. There is a rock wash under the boardwalk from left to right across the yard. Several palms, sea oats, and pompass grasses are planted throughout. The finished product was beautiful. And man did we throw some great "beach parties"!!
Then Fall came. My neighbor to the left has a maple tree in her backyard, right next to the fence. Leaves were all over the sand. Apparently the 3 layers of weed block that we put under the sand was ineffective. When spring came we sat out in that sand for hours sifting leaves, pulling weeds, and finding several cat box treasures from the neighborhood cats. The upkeep is intense. And I won't even begin to tell you what it looks like now-imagine a small jungle.
I'll see if I can find some pictures.
Great idea if there are no trees near your yard and
can keep the weeds under control. Good Luck.
Sorry for the long post, just thought I would share.
Heather.

Old 03-26-08, 08:09 AM
When I read your post I was intrigued by the idea. There's a lot of potential there. Personally, I prefer to fish more than relaxing on the beach.

Pea gravel with the waterfall and some nice greenery for shade. Some wild flowers perhaps and a couple bird feeders. It would bring me to the shore of my favorite fishin' spot.

I think sand, and I think burnt feet. Having to clean the sand from my daughter's curly hair. Loosing for lost Hot Wheels. Settling an argument of who knocked the sand castle over.

I can see your vision and I appreciate it. In my mind, I replace the beach with a shore of a slow moving river. I replace sea gulls with cardinals and waterfowl. Just me though. I do like your idea.