Sprinkler System Stopped Working!?!?!

Old 03-24-08, 09:14 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sprinkler System Stopped Working!?!?!

Hi folks.

It seems that my sprinkler system has quit working! I moved one of the sprinkler heads yesterday because it was too close to my driveway, a relatively easy job, but during testing after the job the system will not work (in any of the 3 zones, by the way).

Now, by "not work" I mean that no water comes out of any of the sprinklers in any zone. The control box appears to work normally, and when I try to operate a zone manually, I feel and hear the electric buzz at the solenoid (so it's getting power), but the valve won't operate!

The only thing I can figure is that when I moved the sprinkler head I didn't shut off the water at the meter (in other words, I relied on the valve/solenoid next to the house to hold back the water...which it did). Could that have created a back-pressure, or something? Could that have caused all three zone valves to fail??

Thanks!!
G8M

Old 03-24-08, 12:45 PM
K
If I understand the situation properly and you have opened the valves manually and still got nothing, I think that the problem is that there is no water in the lines. A valve must be off somewhere between the first zone and the supply. Do you have a double check / backflow preventor? Start there if you do.

Old 03-24-08, 06:17 PM
G
Thank you very much! As it turns out, I believe the water company had the water turned off yesterday. That would explain the lack of flow. Unfortunately, a new problem arose when they presumably turned the water back on - I came home from work today only to find that one zone had been running for several hours! I turned the electronic control box off yesterday, but I didn't secure the water at the meter...my bad. Now, what would cause a zone to free flow?? Solenoid problem (I did twist on those bad boys yesterday...maybe I gooned them up?)? Valve problem??

Many thanks!
G8M

Old 03-25-08, 05:44 AM
G
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Make sure the manual operation of the valve is disabled ie. the solenoid is turned to the right snugly but not tight or the bleed screw is tight.

Old 03-26-08, 06:17 PM
G
Thanks!

I replaced all three valves yesterday (new solenoids and diaphragms), but when I tested today the zones still fired off as soon as I opened the valve at the meter. I can't imagine what the problem could be?? For some reason, the (new) valves aren't operating properly and the water is flowing to the sprinkler heads.

I'd really appreciate some help!!!
Thanks all,
G8M

Old 03-27-08, 04:44 AM
G
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Are they electrically on? If you unplug or shut off the power to the timer do they continue to operate? if yes, then there is a diff. problem. You say that you replaced the solenoids and the diaphrams are you sure you installed them properly? valves rarely malfunction mechanically it is usually only the solenoid that goes bad. Did the plungers fall out of the solenoids when you installed new ones? did you install the diaphram spring properly? What kind or brand of valve are they?

Old 03-27-08, 02:23 PM
K
also try leaving them on for a few minutes. it may take a little time for the diaphram to pressure up on the top side.

Old 03-27-08, 06:05 PM
G
Thanks all!

As a last ditch effort, I went out this morning and checked all electrical connections, tightened the valve covers down (using Rain Bird CP-100, btw), and made sure the solenoids were only finger tight....and....bam, the system seems to work now?!?! I can't imagine what made the difference, but if I had to guess I would propose that one of the valve covers was perhaps a little loose; I guess that made the difference?

I'll keep my fingers crossed!!

Anyway, thanks to all again!
G8M

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: