Foundation Grading question

Old 04-11-08, 06:11 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Here in SE Wisconsin, we've experienced a very wet winter / early spring. In my 5 year old house with a poured foundation, I've noticed slight water seapage on the floor under the baseboards in the basement. The seapage is at the rear of the house where I've got some potential drainage/grading issues. The grading is fairly level if slightly sloping toward the foundation. Once things dry out a little bit, I intend to work on improving the grading. However, the bottom of the first row of vinyl siding is only about 3 inches above the ground.

Is there any drawbacks to filling in dirt up to and over the bottom of the siding row? If this will cause rotting problems or something, what other options do I have for improving the drainage around my foundation?

Old 04-11-08, 06:18 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
You have wood under that vinyl siding - and the earth needs to be (here by code) at least 8 inches below it. You need to change the grade to get the water running away from the house, not toward it, as you're well aware. Installing a drainage system around the basement wall wouldn't hurt - but it's treating the symptom rather than curing the disease...

Old 04-11-08, 06:29 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post

You certainly have had a snowy winter. You have had over 5 feet more snow than Minneapolis/St. Paul.

You did not give any detailed information on your lot and the over-all slope (if any) inckuding soil type. The first thing to do is to make sure you have effective gutters with long downspouts (8 to 12'). Instead of the ugly, long downspouts, you can used longer burried extensions to get to a lower area.

after that, attack the slope around the house. You may have to slope the ground away from it by creating a "swale" that is a shallow open ditch with very gradual side slopes, that carries water away.

Old 04-13-08, 02:38 PM
A
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
grading issues

If the whole yard needs to be graded, be prepared that it isn't a quick morning project. We started something similar and realized it takes much more planning. I think you've got the right idea, though -- just don't fill your calendar that afternoon!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: