Irrigation pump

Old 04-17-08, 12:17 PM
Irrigation pump

Hey guys,

I'm looking into using rainwater with my irrigation system. I'm pretty clear on everything needed with the exception of the pump. Obviously I require a jet pump but can anyone explain what is required to automate it? What type of pressure switch to I require to tell the pump to activate when the pressure in the system drops, i.e. the sprinklers activate and how would one go about hooking up the switch..

Thanks for the help!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-08, 04:19 PM
Group Moderator
The big home stores (Lowes, Home Depot...) carry a shallow well pump kit that has everything in one box. It has the pump, pressure tank and pressure switch all in one unit. When your sprinkler system turns on the water pressure in the line drops and the pump automatically turns on.

Old 04-21-08, 04:39 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
What you need is a pump start switch that the timer supplies 24 volts to when it calls for watering the lawn. most timers now have this feature which have been around for at least 20 years, this way you do not have to mess with Pres. switches and tanks. Now for the pump, you need to determine how much you will water per zone, usually 5-7 heads per zone depending on pump capacity and nozzle size GPM. you will not need a jet pump, Home depot and lowes have sprinkler pumps that seem to do the job well, I have used them with full satisfaction.