Hunter ASV-101 Valve Leaking

Old 04-26-08, 04:54 PM
Hunter ASV-101 Valve Leaking

A contractor installed one of these anti-siphon valves a year and a half ago and it is leaking from the diaphragm chamber. The contractor has moved on to bigger and better things, and does not do irrigation repairs anymore. I decided to buy a brand new valve, but before attempting to yank the old one out and replace it with the new one, I had some questions. Is the most likely cause of the leak the diagphragm assembly (part # 332100) or the solenoid seal (part # 364400). Hunter has a 1 MB pdf file on their web site:

http://www.hunterindustries.com/Supp...es/default.htm

http://www.hunterindustries.com/Reso...ic/LIT321w.pdf

I disassembled the new valve and noticed the construction is shoddy inside. There is a plastic film over the solenoid seal and the diaphragm surround is made of flimsy rubber. Even loose shards of plastic were on the vanes of the diaphragm assembly. Whats are the odds of being able to repair the valve with spare parts vs. having to chop the old valve off and glue in a new one?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-08, 05:21 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
It sounds more like a cracked valve housing, I don't usually use this type of set-up although I have seen them used usually DIY, but the chance of a seal or diaphram going bad in 1.5 years is not likely unless it is in severe duty that it was not designed for. are you sure it is leaking from the valve part of the assy. and not the bac-flo part of the unit i.e. the poppit assembly? did this freeze at any time? what is your location?

Old 04-28-08, 07:14 PM
Originally Posted by Greenguy1 View Post
... the chance of a seal or diaphram going bad in 1.5 years is not likely unless it is in severe duty
I had an opportunity to open the valve cover today and the diagphragm assembly (part # 332100) was all gunked up with light green crud. This is Honolulu, Hawaii, and the water is both hard and not very clean. Some dead gekko or slug must have gotten into a reservoir or storage tank, and made its way to my property. When crud collects on the rubber, it displaces the seal, and water can sneak its way out of a weep hole on the side of the plastic body. This is a self-clean feature of Hunter Valves. Great idea in principle, but if the debris is nasty enough, it can cause a permanent leak. Anyway, when the rubber assembly was replaced, the leak stopped. Thank god, no crack.

Old 04-29-08, 03:27 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I use Nelson, but have had a similar gunk situation, but the valve did not leak, it just would not shut off because the bleed hole in the center of the diaphram was plugged, not sure what got in there but it was slimey and growing. A good example of why we use bac-flo preventers.