Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Lawns, Landscaping and Outdoor Decor
Reload this Page >

What is the correct way to anchor an in-ground flagpole?

Old 03-04-10, 08:24 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Hello,

last year we installed our flagpole in our front yard. Recently, we have gotten a lot of rain and wind and the pole is literally moving with the chunk of cement (the cement is no longer sticking to the soil). When we installed it we dug a wider, shallower hole. We have no installation instructions since the pole was in another location previously. Should the hole be deeper and narrower this time? It's also going to be 55 degrees this weekend with the grass being softer. Would this be the best time to do it? (as the grass shouldn't get any softer?)

Thanks.

Old 03-05-10, 02:22 AM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Hi AA, I'm jealous, our frost is just starting to soften up. What you may be experiencing is the transition from frost to no frost. As it melts from the top down, the water/moisture is trapped until the ground below thaws and thus a swamp on top. That is common up here, but I don't know how much frost you got this year.

The frost line is what tells you how deep to go, especially with a flag pole. Ct looks like 4' would be about right and since that is about as deep as a hand post hole digger can go it should be good. Wide and shallow leaves the concrete wallowing in the swamp on top.

Keep them flying
Bud

Old 03-05-10, 05:42 AM
A
Reply..

Thanks Bud,

I will remove the pole from the existing hole and I will fill the hole (since it is currently next to a tree that will grow larger in about 3 years and I don't want the flag getting stuck on the tree). I will find a better location in my yard, and maybe should consider getting a smaller size flag (maybe 3' x 5') because I think the larger flag is tugging on the pole too much (it's only a residential pole).

Old 03-06-10, 01:00 PM
My husband says you should ask your local quarry about this stuff called "blue dust"

He says it works in wet places that concrete won't hold up in. You just dig deep, and put in about 4" at a time, and tamp it down really really well. He says its a heck of a lot of work.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: