Back Yard Drain

Old 05-07-08, 06:08 AM
Back Yard Drain

I have a horrible drain problem in my back yard, every rainstorm 25%+ of my backyard is under 1"-2" of water.

I've been reading up around this forum and have decided to install a French drain system.
I've measures the slope of my property (about 1.5 degrees), designed the drain system, ordered the 3/4" washed gravel, and got all the other supplies.

Yesterday, I started to dig and discovered that after 6" of top soil i have nothing but gray clay going 3' deep (that as far as i could dig). The hole i dug filled with 7" of water in about 2 hours. (it hasn't rained in 5 days)

Here are my questions;
#1. I originally was planing on doing a drain system that is 2' deep(1' of gravel covered by 1' of soil). Should i raise it up to 1.5' deep (1' of gravel covered by 6" of soil)?
#2. What do i do with the dug up clay? Can i spread it around the entire property and mix it up with the top soil? (I'm planning or reseeding my grass anyways)

Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-08, 09:57 AM
My yard drainage is only 1' - 1.5' so that should be fine.

I think I would get rid of the clay myself.

If you do it right you'll be amazed at the difference.

If you run the exit out to the street make sure you go to the curb. Mine was dumped out just before the sidewalk and in the winter there's always an ice patch there. I'm planning on re-doing that part this season.

Old 05-07-08, 10:47 AM
Thanks mattison,

You actually bring up a good point that i have not thought about, How do i get the pipe under the sidewalk?

Old 05-07-08, 11:35 AM
Originally Posted by Igor.Prokopiv View Post
Thanks mattison,

You actually bring up a good point that i have not thought about, How do i get the pipe under the sidewalk?
Here's how.
http://www.askthebuilder.com/524_Tun...riveways.shtml

There is also a tool called a sidewalk sleever. You might be able to rent it. Click on 'CLICK HERE TO SEE HOW SIMPLE IT IS' to see how to use it.
http://www.sidewalksleever.com/

Newt