Drought watering tips?

Old 05-16-08, 07:51 AM
Drought watering tips?

Here in Nor Cal local utility is implementing drought watering restrictions. I only water the lawn once a week as is, and plants get a deep soak every 1-2 weeks.

Any drought watering tips?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-08, 08:21 AM
Group Moderator
Early morning and one or two waterings per week so the grass gets whatever moisture needed to add to rainfall total so that it gets 1-2" per week.

Old 05-16-08, 03:06 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
For plant watering, we keep a 5 gallon pail just outside the shower, and fill it with the cold water until it heats up for a shower, rather than letting it go down the drain. You would be amazed at the amount of water you waste waiting for hot water to get to the shower head.

Old 05-16-08, 03:52 PM
Watering in morning is best. Water deep to encourage strong roots that go in search of water. Most grass types can get buy on an inch of water. Place tuna cans in lawn to make sure grass gets at least an inch. Depending on soil and grass type, the lawn may need more than an inch.

Mow high. Core aeration in fall for cool season grass and in spring for warm season grass opens up soil and allows for better water penetration. If thatch is 1/2" or greater dethatch when core aerate to allow more moisture and nutrients to reach roots. Allow clippings to mulch into lawn to help conserve moisture. Halt all fertilizer programs until drought restrictions are lifted. Consider reducing size of lawn with beds of drought resistant plants. Pray for rain!

Old 05-16-08, 04:12 PM
Lots of ideas here. Scroll down to 'Homeowners'.
http://www.drought.unl.edu/mitigate/...tion_links.htm

During our last drought I also showered with a bucket in the shower to catch water. I used the rinse water from my washing machine to water outdoor plants. I didn't use bleach or fabric softener. I save veggie cooking water and soft and hard boiled egg water to which no salt has been added. I use it to water houseplants. They appreciate the extra minerals.

Newt

Old 05-28-08, 07:29 AM
"Halt all fertilizer programs until drought restrictions are lifted."

Are you referring to synthetic fertilizers? I put topsoil on my lawns this time of year.

Old 05-28-08, 10:49 AM
During drought, grass is stressed. Many grass types go dormant. Application of nitrogen fertilizer will collect and not produce a favorable growth response when grass begins to grow again. Lawn needs a couple of deep waterings after fertilizing to soak fertillizer down to roots. Fertilizer left on grass that is not actively growing can burn grass. If grass is dormant, fertilizer will encourage growth of active weeds. When it begins to rain again does not mean that the drought is over. Drought presists until favorable moisture conditions build up again.