converting manual sprinkler system to timer

Old 05-18-08, 04:20 PM
converting manual sprinkler system to timer

Have a one station sprinkler system with an old style valve that turns on with a water key. How do I add a timer to the on/off valve?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-08, 05:38 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
There are timers available which screw onto your faucet and you would then hook your sprinkler to the timer.
I have a Melnor, available at the big orange box store and elsewhere. Check their web site as they have several models.

Old 05-21-08, 04:08 PM
I'd replace the valves with solenoids wired to a digital timer, The hardest part would be running the wire from the solenoids to the timer.

Digital timers are so nice. Hit up your hardware store and they should be able to fill you in. There are so many choices. You'll need to know how many zones you have.

Old 07-27-08, 06:56 PM
removed old setup and installed a watermaster 3/4 automatic converter connected to a Law Genie RJ4/RJ6 plus automatic timer. hooked up to system according to instructions but won't run. the valve works manually.

I'm thinking that the problem is the timer includes a "master connection" and six stations and I only have one valve. Any help?

Old 07-31-08, 07:45 PM
sprinkler

I have a DIY system I bought at Lowes and I finally took the timer off because it was hard to work. Now I just turn it on, pull weeds...and then it's time to turn it off.