Sprinkler backflow

Old 05-25-08, 04:27 PM
Sprinkler backflow

I have a situation where I have a sprinkler up on a hill that was previously operated by a shutoff valve only. I recently moved the plumbing indoors under my shed. There is a small crawl space, and is perfect place for these controls. My plan was to replumb it and install an automatic sprinkler valve, which I have done.

The problem is that when the system is operated and then turned off the water backflows and runs out of the anti-siphon valve and all over everything else below it, which is unacceptable, as it's a lot of water. I've installed it as high as I could, given the height restrictions there, but there is no way I can install the valve the 12 inches above the highest sprinkler, as it states in the instructions. I would have to put it up on the roof in order to do that. My shed is built into the grade, which is approximately a 30% grade, and goes up about fifty feet. The sprinkler is about half of the way up the hill.

What are my options here? Is there any way to make this work? I could remove the auto valve and reinstall a manual valve, but I really would like to make this automatic, if I can.

Thanks...Randy

Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-08, 06:37 PM
Does your system have a backflow preventer?

Old 05-25-08, 07:17 PM
This is what I bought and currently the only valve installed...

http://www.amazon.com/Orbit-Sprinkle.../dp/B00004S1V6

Old 05-26-08, 10:39 PM
Well, I didn't receive any helpful advice so I just went ahead and removed the valve and installed a manual shutoff valve in its place.