Grass Turning Yellow

Old 05-28-08, 12:33 PM
B
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Grass Turning Yellow

hello,

i have about half an acre of grass to mow.
i had sprinkler system installed in february.
we have very nice several weeks lately, lots of rains and warm, humid weather, with occasional sunny days, nothing really scorching or too hot. just perfect for everything to grow, and so it does!

i have to mow my lawn twice a week, or grass gets so high that my tractor mower chokes. to my disappointment, my lawn developed about 1/5th of an acre area, where grass simply turns yellow, like as if dying. i start seeing large yellowish leisons everywhere.

lawn has been thetched twice, last fall and this spring, before they had sprinklers installed. also, i had 5 trucks of fill durt spread into a large dipression in my lawn, to level it and back up by retaining wall. i reseeded that fill dirt with grass.

the reseeded area does just great! grass is bright green and happy and grows like crazy. but right next to it, the "old" grass is turning yellow. other parts of the lawn do better, though i have patches of yellowing here and there.

i have limed lawn last year, corn glutened last year, spread weed and feed regularly twice a year, and becaus of that landscaping and reseeding, spread lawn food twice this year.

in general, soil is poor. it's very rocky and does not hold moisture at all, but it was not anywhere close to going dry this year, it is just perfect for vegetation.

any suggestions or ideas why is that grass turning yellow? i bought the house as is and have no idea what kind of grass the builder put in. but whatever i seeded - does just superbly right next to the yellowing areas. landscaping is about 5 yo.

Old 05-28-08, 07:26 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Too much moisture and too much nitrogen sets up lawn for fungal diseases. Check with local Cooperative Extension Agent for a lawn maintenance schedule for your type of grass in your area. Watering deep once a week is better for lawn than several lighter waterings throughout the week. You want grass roots to grow deep and strong in search of moisture and nutrients. Add core aeration to your annual lawn maintenance program. It opens up soil to allow moisture and nutrients to get to roots. You should not have to dethatch until thatch reaches 1/2" or more. Some thatch is good as it acts as mulch and helps conserve moisture. A soil test will tell you what amendments need to be made to soil. Your Extension Agent can help with this.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: