New Use for Basketball Pole

Old 06-06-08, 08:27 PM
New Use for Basketball Pole

I have an old basketball net on a post beside my driveway that I installed and filled with concrete.

I no longer need it for its intended purpose, so now I would like to paint it (it's steel and rusting a bit) after cutting off the top half so it can be used as a plant pole, but can't find any type of cap and plant hooks that I can use.

Does anyone have any ideas how to do this?

Thanks,

QC

Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-08, 08:16 AM
Group Moderator
You could maybe find some one to weld some hooks on the pole for you. Or look at your home store for some plant or hose hooks that you could bolt/clamp or weld to the post.

Old 06-07-08, 08:40 AM
The challenge will be to find a hook that will give you enough clearance from the pole to accommodate a hanging basket. S and J hooks and hose hangers provide little clearance from the pole.

How about something like this?

Photo Credit: Cabela's

http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0040766517421a.shtml

Old 06-07-08, 08:41 AM
Some PVC or ABS products may fit the top as a cap.

Old 06-07-08, 11:42 AM
This pole is at the front of the house, so I want it to look good. I've looked everywhere and can't find anything suitable.

The ideal would be a non rusting cast aluminum cap of the right size to fit the pole (about 4 inches diameter) with two or three hooks extending out about 8-12 inches each, but I haven't found anything like that (heck not even close).

Unfortunately I don't know anyone that works in a metal shop to ask him to make something for me, so I am left to my own devices. Commercially there doesn't seem to be anything to fit the bill that's why I was looking for ideas, doable by myself, but still has to look good, otherwise I'll yank the whole thing thing out.

Old 06-07-08, 12:10 PM
I have an idea now what you are wanting to do. I have seen the pole hangers in yards. There are multiple hangers radiating out from the top of the pole. Each arm of this umbrella style hanger holds a hanging basket.

Old 06-07-08, 12:53 PM
Group Moderator
How about this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Gardman-Windsor-...60517104r29913

This is nice too!:

http://www.plowhearth.com/product.as...:trackingCode=

I did a search on google for "hanging plant hook" and came up with a bunch more. You could just buy what you wanted and some you can attach with screws (which may be tough) or ask around. Somebody around you has to have a small welder that can weld them on for you. Then all you need is a shot of paint. Yellow pages is good for finding someone to weld for you.

Also do a search for "decorative finial" Comes up with tons of tops for your post.

Old 06-07-08, 08:22 PM
That's the idea twelvepole.

Tolyn Ironhand, I've looked at the links you provided, the first would have to be adapted somehow, with bolts I guess, the second one appears to be a stand alone pole with hangers that would be hard to attach to my pole. But I'll do more searches as you suggest and see what comes up.

Thanks and keep the ideas coming....

Old 06-07-08, 08:52 PM
The plant stands with the hangers I have seen driving through the back roads of Appalachia. I have Googled and Googled to find instructions for what I have seen. I know what you want. They are homemade. I always brake when I've seen them. The baskets are overrun with a stream of flowers and greenery. It's a show stopper.

I simply am not Googling the correct combination of words. I know what you want, but I can't direct you where you need to go. I've Googled Maypole, Parasol, Umbrella, multi hanger + metal plant hangers. I just can't find it.

Is there one in your area? Go knock on their door. If I knew where one was, I'd certainly stop and ask for you.

Let's cross our fingers and hope another reader can find this multi basket hanger DIY project pattern and instructions.

Old 06-08-08, 07:03 AM
I did a google with pole hanger and clicked on Images. I found these. They sure are expensive!
http://www.thestakepuller.com/mounte...pole-clamp.htm
http://www.thestakepuller.com/mounted-hangers.htm

Newt

Old 06-08-08, 08:00 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
When we moved into our house about 8 years ago, there was one of those gosh awful 8' satellite dishes on a pole in our front yard. Needless to say it went to the recycle yard. However, the pole made a great bird feeder perch. I mounted the bird feeder (I have to make them by the dozens because of the bear) on a plastic sleeve, which is fitted to the bottom of the feeder with a bock of wood. The sleeve fits over the pole and allows the birds to feed, allows us to clean it by just lifting it off, and allows the bear to lift it off and feed without destroying the feeder.

Old 06-08-08, 09:16 PM
You have an interesting situation chandler.

Newt, thanks for your links, but that's not quite what i am looking for. I want to cut off the pole to a reasonable height, say six feet, then mount something right on top like a cap with plant hangers. I think I've come across a patent application for such a device on the net, but now I can't find it anymore, but it was just a patent app for an invention anyways.

twelvepole, it sounds like you've seen what I am looking for, but the ones you've seen were likely custom made. I have not seen them anywhere in real life, it's just the idea I had to put that old pole to good use. I've done many net searches with luck!

Old 07-06-08, 11:49 AM
OK, I think I have found a solution, only not quite what I had hoped.

Home Depot sells narrow steel flower pot holders with just two bolt holes (one above the other) that can be used on the circular basketball pole. They're made of steel so they will need painting every few years, but so will the post. For fasteners I should be able to drill into the steel and concrete and then use concrete screws. If that doesn't support the pots adequately, I can go all the way through and use long bolts with nuts on the other end. For a cap, I should be able to take a large ABS plumbing cap and fit it over the top of the post once I've cut it. Does anyone have any ideas as to how to saw off the post and concrete filler material that may be easier than using a circular saw with an abrasive blade and working my way around the pole at about seven feet above the ground?

Old 07-09-08, 12:02 PM
Wonderful news! I hope you post a picture or two when you're done.

Newt

Old 07-19-08, 12:28 PM
Twelvepole, I think the things that you saw in Appalachia are parts from an old tractor stuck down in a pole. I'm not quite what part that is, but it must be some kind of a rake for hay. I have seen tons of these, and they do turn out quite nice.