French Drain/sump pit/ drainage issues

Old 06-16-08, 02:02 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
French Drain/sump pit/ drainage issues

I will try to make this short and simple.

There is a water shed problem that occurs a few times out of the year (heavy rains). The natural flow of water flows from East to West on the property. My property sits at alittle higher grade than my neighbor to the east of me. So, when water drains from the east to the west it ends up pooling up against the edge of my property but mostly flooding the neighbors. Every now and then I am told it floods their basement. It does nothing negative to my property. There is a small culvert that runs along the road in front of our homes but the cluvert is at a higher grade than the area that pools water up.

Without digging through my property which is what they want to do (this is the ONLY slope they could find that naturally drains water away)......

what other methods are there to keep them from having to dig on my property to lay a french drain or some other type of drainage system.

There would need to be a pump that would pump the water up the small grade to the culvert.

Is there any type of drainage system out there that is meant for these types of situations?????

I have googled in the past and thought I found something but I cannot find what I thought I saw.

(A pit that would collect water and a pump that would pump the water out to the culvert. Sorta like a sump pit in a basement does but meant for outdoors)

Old 06-16-08, 02:16 PM
Oh, their property is shaped like a bowl and my property is shaped like a bowl but turned upside down.

My house sits up on the hill.

Their house sorta sits half way down inside the bowl.

Old 06-17-08, 11:32 PM
N
Sounds like you are referring to a dry well.
http://www.easydigging.com/Drainage/..._soakaway.html

Newt

Old 06-18-08, 01:04 PM
A drywell is what I have been looking at but I haven't seen where it says you can use a sump pump in a drywell type system.

If a sump pump cannot be used then there is little that can be done besides digging through my yard. I don't think a drywell will drain the water fast enough. However, I am going to do the drywell test and dig a 4ft hole.

I thank you for that link as that is one I hadn't come across.

Liz

Old 06-19-08, 09:45 AM
N
I remember a segment on This Old House where a series of dry wells was installed and a pump was used to pump the water to a higher level for disposal. You are still going to have to dig up the yard if you need a large dry well.

Newt

Old 06-20-08, 08:26 PM
I agree that htere will be some digging. I am just looking for a solution that doesn't involve digging up my driveway or across my entire front yard.

A drywell w/ a pump would be a better solution and IMO would be less digging and wouldn't require digging up the driveway or running piping across the front part of the yard.

My neighbors would be able to keep most of the work in their yard which is the side yard for both of us. 90% of the yard is theirs. I don't have a problem with them digging in this area of my yard.

I also don't think they've researched this and they've not hired anyone to come out and recommend whats best.

I found out from the city that they will install sewers and drainage in 2014 which I hope will help with the problem. Right now we have nothing other than some culverts to help with runoff.

Several ppl have paved their driveways and built garages and this has changed the water shed and absorption.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: