Tree Wound

Old 06-16-08, 02:41 PM
Angry Tree Wound

30 year old Maple has a pruning wound, small hole. How could this hole in tree be repaired? About 4 in. deep in center of tree.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-08, 02:42 PM
My approach would be to just seal it up with a can of pruning seal.

Old 06-17-08, 11:33 PM
With no disrespect to Dgbehrends, sealing with anything is not usually recommenced these days. It can seal in moisture, pests and diseases. How about a picture?

Newt

Old 06-18-08, 06:01 AM
Interesting you mention pests. I used pruning seal to get rid of a pest. I sprayed it on his hole and the bugger tried to come out through the hole and got caught in the gunk and died. So it worked for me. If you have some links that say its not recommended "these days" I wouldn't mind reading them.

Old 06-18-08, 01:13 PM
Dgbehrends, I'm glad you asked for a site. I usually post a link to any statement I make like that, but I will beg off and tell you the hour was late and I was tired.

From the ISA (International Society of Arborculture):
http://www.treesaregood.org/treecare...ng_mature.aspx

Wound Dressings

Wound dressings were once thought to accelerate wound closure, protect against insects and diseases, and reduce decay. However, research has shown that dressings do not reduce decay or speed closure and rarely prevent insect or disease infestations. Most experts recommend that wound dressings not be used. If a dressing must be used for cosmetic purposes, then only a thin coating of a nontoxic material should be applied.
I hope that helps.
Newt

Old 06-18-08, 02:07 PM
At first my plan was to apply the prune sealer for cosmetic reasons because I thought it was a nail hole in my young maple tree. But after I sprayed the prune sealer a good sized bug tried to crawl out and died in the goo. So I guess in my case it was ok. I intended on bringing the bug into a the county park and rec deparment to have the forester look at it. I was concerned that it was an ash borer. It matched in size, but because it was all covered in goo I couldn't tell what color. However I dropped it somewhere in the grass on the way into the house and was not able to locate it .

Old 06-18-08, 02:18 PM
Well, it's one of those situations where you did the right thing. Too bad your bug got away. Maples are best pruned with they are dormant - fall after leaf drop until late winter before the sap flows.

Newt