Outdoor drip system valves won't operate

Old 07-10-08, 08:30 PM
Outdoor drip system valves won't operate

My house uses a Hardie model HR-6100 6 station controller for the outdoor drip/irrigation system. The valves are not operating. The digital readouts function on the controller itself. I am able to program days, watering schedules, run times, etc.. But the valves won't work.

The fuse and controller wiring are ok. The above ground valves outside are Lawn genie 3/4'' 150 PSI type. These valves have been replaced 2 or 3 times since the house was purchased in 1995, so I am guessing the solenoid(s) is the culprit

I notice there are these battery shaped black things with wires dangling from the valves. These wires then trail into the ground. Are these the solenoids? These black things are original equipment from 1995.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-08, 04:19 AM
First you need to see if you have voltage at the controller. look for differnt colored wires inside the controller. there should be one for each zone (valve) there should also be a common wire most likely black in color. Get a DMM that you can test down to 24 volts and check between the black wire and one of the zone wires with the controller running that zone and you should see 24V. if not controller is bad. if you do see 24V go to the vale box with controller running that zone and check for the black wire and colored wire connected to that valve and see if you have 24V (color should be the same as at the controller) if you do valve is bad or you have a connection problem. if you dont you have a open in the wiring (broken wire or connection problem) Remember for all the valves to go bad at once would be odd, if they all worked then just stopped I would think you have a broken wire. all the wires run together
if the black wire (com wire) if broke in front of the first valve then none will work. Good luck

Originally Posted by bluesbreaker View Post
My house uses a Hardie model HR-6100 6 station controller for the outdoor drip/irrigation system. The valves are not operating. The digital readouts function on the controller itself. I am able to program days, watering schedules, run times, etc.. But the valves won't work.

The fuse and controller wiring are ok. The above ground valves outside are Lawn genie 3/4'' 150 PSI type. These valves have been replaced 2 or 3 times since the house was purchased in 1995, so I am guessing the solenoid(s) is the culprit

I notice there are these battery shaped black things with wires dangling from the valves. These wires then trail into the ground. Are these the solenoids? These black things are original equipment from 1995.