Sprikler help

Old 07-13-08, 11:42 AM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Sprikler help

I have a Rainbird half circle shrub spray head that is continuosly dripping water from the head and leaving a pool of muddy water at its base. I replaced the head but the problem still persists. My valve appears to be functionng properly, so i am stuck. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-15-08, 01:16 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Seeping Head

Your spray nozzle that is leaking, is it down hill or much lower than the other nozzles? If yes, then gravity may be the issue. Assuming your spray nozzle is on a riser or plastic nipple, pressure compensating screens installed under the lower elevation nozzles will alleviate the problem. The Rainbird part # for those is PCS-XXX, where XXX= the desired GPM (gallons per minute). PCS-020=0.2 GPM up to PCS-370=3.7 GPM. A lower number would be used for more dramatic elevation changes.

If your leaking spray nozzle is in a pop-up head, then a check valve can often be installed at the base of the head, under the guts. If you are using Rainbird 1800 series heads, then there is a head in that series called a SAM or Seal-a-Matic. If your head is a 6" pop-up, then the part you need is an 1806-SAM.

If elevation is not the issue, then the valve is likely the problem. Although the valve may appear to function properly, it may not be closing completely as it should. Often times a small bit of particulate, normally in water systems, can build up on an edge of the valve diaphragm. Movement of the diaphragm opens and closes the valve. Since valves open and close based on a pressure differential above and below the diaphragm, any break in the diaphragm seal will prevent the valve from closing properly. A small build-up of particulate can create a proportional seepage of water.

My suggestion is to turn your water off, take off the top of your valve to the affected zone, and inspect the diaphragm seal for contamination or small dings. Quite often the problem is too small to see, and a simple cleaning of the diaphragm and its seat on the valve body will solve the problem.

If the problem persists, then most likely the diaphragm will have to be replaced.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: