need help with older sprinkler with extension

Old 07-20-08, 09:05 PM
VVG
need help with older sprinkler with extension

I have an older sprinkler that was prob installed in the early
8o's. Prob a Toro unit. It has male thread on the top of the unit. and has extensions that screw together to raise it up about a foot or so so water shrubs. The male threads are stripped or just worn out. Can anyone think of a way to fix this without digging the thing out and replacing it with something else? It is burried about a foot down in gravel and dirt and will be a big mess.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-08, 09:35 PM
You could cut the riser with a hack saw, ream it and glue on a 1/2 coupler, the kind that one side is a glue in, and the other side is a threaded coupler.

This would probably work but you should probably fix it right and dig up the pipe and replace the whole riser.

Old 07-20-08, 09:40 PM
VVG
The riser is supossed to be hooked onto the sprinkler. It looks like a regular sprinkler with male threads recessed into it. The prob is I cannot get the riser to stay on the male threads of the sprinkler unit.

Old 07-21-08, 07:24 PM
They make fittings that can be glued onto a riser and them a sprinkler can be attached.What you would need to do is take the sprinkler off, then cut the threads of the riser and then glue a 1/2 to threaded converter. Then all you would need to do is re-attach the sprinkler. The fitting should be avaliable at home depot.

Old 07-21-08, 08:04 PM
VVG
I dont think I am being clear on this. The problem is not below thw sprinkler but on top of the sprinkler. on this one there are male threads on the top of the sprinkler head. On these threads attach an extension that goes up 3 feet or so to water high shrubs. The male threads on the top of the sprinkler are worn out. Thus it shoots water out because the 3 foot extention will not stay on it.

thanks

keith

Old 07-21-08, 09:11 PM
Oh, i thought you were talking about the riser. I hate to say it, but I dont know how to fix the problem, I'v never seen those kind of sprinklers before. Sorry