a river runs into it......


Old 07-22-08, 03:12 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 55
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
a river runs into it......

I have a 25 year old house. I have a large pool and patterned concrete deck. At the corner of my house it is a low spot on the property. Mine and neighbours property water drains through the garden across the concrete and into a window well. Sunday we had a violent storm. Rain literally filled the window well to the top, water gushing in at the seams of the window, and pouring into the window well. This isn't the first time. I've cleared the bottom of the window well of debris and scooped out as much stone from the drain to see if there is any blockage...seems fine. The real issue I believe is the diverting rain water. As this is an established property, with large plantings and an existing wood fence I 'THINK" the resolve is a trench and weeping tile along the fence line and out to the front...however a hot tub and shed are in the way. I'm at a loss as to what might work or even who to contact to undertake this project...happy to give it a whirl...any ideas from the experts?...it's a very gradual grade....thanks in advance everyone

Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-08, 10:34 PM
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Maryland zone 7
Posts: 1,716
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hi John,

I was wondering if you ever got any help with this. I am thinking that a consult with a landscape architect who understands water issues might be helpful for you.

Old 08-22-08, 05:04 PM
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 15,834
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
A consultation with a landscape engineer is certainly in order to address drainage issues. No matter what route you take, you should have a drain in the bottom of the window well that carries away excess water. Drain should slope downward away from well and tie into storm drain or drain into a dry well. Placement of drain should be decided upon after deciding where other projects will be placed in the landscape. Dealing with your own drainage issues is enough without having to deal with neighbor's runoff. A landscape engineer can help with placement of drains, ditches, swales, etc. to prevent neighbor's runoff from accessing your property and to prevent yours from draining on to neighbor's property or toward your home.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: