To fabric, or not to fabric

Old 07-23-08, 06:41 AM
To fabric, or not to fabric

I have two areas that I'm considering using landscape fabric. One is a 20ft by 30ft area with a large play toy for the kids. I plan to put in about 6 inches of cedar play chips. I've heard the cedar will keep away any weeds. Is this true?

The other is an area 7 ft by 45 ft along the side of my house. I plan to remove the sod and install crushed rock. Any need for fabric here?

Thanks,
Todd

Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-08, 02:57 PM
Group Moderator
Fabric allows water to drain through, plastic will help divert it. I'd go fabric on the kid area and plastic by the house. You always want to put some kind of barrier under rock or mulch to keep it separated from the dirt below.

Old 07-24-08, 04:16 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
stone for sure, but not the cedar mulch, it will not hold up to the activity of all the little feet digging and tearing.

Old 07-24-08, 08:28 AM
Hi Todd,

The landscape fabric will keep weeds from rooting into the soil and it more long lasting then plastic weed barrier. Cedar mulch will help keep bugs away, but I've not heard of it keeping weed seeds from germinating. Seeds will be blown in and sprout in any mulch.

By crushed stone I'm wondering if you are referring to something like crisher run. If the crushed stone, once wet, will form a barrier that will allow water to seep through yet form a cementicious barrier, that might work for you. Under stone a weed block will suffice, but if you want to use landscape cloth, that would work too. Again it will help keep weeds from rooting into the soil. As far as using rocks/crushed stone for mulch, I've heard folks finding it difficult to weed once the seeds sprout. It can also be difficult to remove bits of leaves and other debris such as maple tree seeds from the stone. Most folks end up removing the stone and putting down mulch.

Newt

Old 07-24-08, 03:24 PM
Group Moderator
Out where I live, the wind blows so hard we replace the mulch with stone after it all blows into the yard.

Old 07-24-08, 07:34 PM
Thanks for the great input! I think I'll hold off on using it for the kids play area, but use it under the crushed rock. The rock is for the side of the house, where I keep extra lumber, garbage cans, etc.

Thanks again,
Todd