Easy Plant Question

Old 08-29-08, 02:53 PM
Easy Plant Question

We planted flowers in spring. They didn't start growing any pedals until a couple months back. I'm not sure what they are called, but I searched google and these are the exact ones we have here: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...owers_2007.JPG

Anyhow, Most of the flowers are starting to die off and become a dark brown color while others buds are starting to bloom pink. Should we cut the brown bundle of flowers off so they can bloom new or won't they?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-08, 05:12 PM
Looks like pink hydrangea. Hydrangea will change color on their own. Amount of aluminum in soil determines color. This can be adjusted. You can turn pink to blue by adding aluminum to soil. You might want to do some research on hydrangeas and color changes.

Old blooms can be removed. Deadheading will promote setting of buds and new blooms. Cut the spent blooms
along with the flowering stalk, back to the uppermost pair of new buds, taking care not to damage any of the new green shoots.

Old 08-29-08, 06:22 PM
Yep I think that's what they were called when we picked them up. So I would cut the dead ones off directly under the bloom or should I cut it off down towards the bottom of the plant?

Old 08-29-08, 07:08 PM
Cut the spent blooms along with the flowering stalk, back to the uppermost pair of new buds, taking care not to damage any of the new green shoots.<!-- / message -->