Operating a Sod-cutter

Old 09-22-08, 10:46 AM
Operating a Sod-cutter

I want to put in a garden bed, but first I must remove the sod. The area is about 6 ft x 15 ft and the grass is Zoisa. I thought it might be a better idea to use a sod cutter rather than doing all that digging. The local tool rental place rents out cutter, but I wondered if this sort of thing was a do-it-yourself project? Or something you should hire out?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-08, 04:53 PM
it's easy enough but in my opinion not worth the money.
you could remove the turfgrass with a good spade and save a bunch of cash. it's called sweat equity,, you're not dealing with a very large area. BTW ( i'm in the rental business).

Old 09-25-08, 10:11 AM
I know the work can be done by hand and save $$$, but there is just me to do the work, and I can't take forever getting it done. The sod cutter is for convenience and to get the job done quickly. I already know how much rental costs for one day in my area $58--well worth it if it helps me get all the sod removed in one afternoon.

How much does a sod-cutter weigh? It is something that could easily fit in the back of a hatch-back SUV? Or does a person need a truck to haul it? (If it's too heavy to lift, I may pay the rental place to deliver/pick up).

Also, how hard is it to maneuver?

Does it take considerable strength to operate?

Old 09-25-08, 10:25 AM
Super Moderator
They're heavy, like an aerator. Might fit in an SUV if the handles can be folded. Truck is easier. I think the one I used was self propelled.

I'd be more concerned if it will cut out the Zoysia correctly, that stuff spreads like weeds.

Maybe someone else will weigh in.

Old 09-25-08, 03:13 PM
very heavy, not hard to run. you will need at least two people to unload it from a truck.
spray the grass with a herbicide, wait a few days and then set the cutter to full depth. ( around 3")

Old 09-26-08, 08:35 AM
Thanks for all the info. I am going to price out having a company come remove the sod for me vs renting a machine. Sounds like such a pain transporting the sod-cutter. Might be better to hire out.

Old 09-26-08, 08:53 AM
Super Moderator
Aseret
Or find a teenager who's willing to do an afternoon of work. It's really not that hard to do for a younger fit kid and a flat shovel.