Need help with leaking nipples (couplers)

Old 09-29-08, 07:20 PM
Need help with leaking nipples (couplers)

I am having a devil of a time attempting to seal threaded PVC fittings on my sprinkler system valves and manifolds. My valves have threaded female fittings as do the Ts in my manifold. The two are connected together using 1 and nipples (depending on the size of the valve). I am using PTFE tape around both ends of the nipples. I am wrapping three to four full turns around each end, stretching the tape fairly tight. Now that everything is attached, the several of my valves are (very) slowly dripping at one end of the coupler when I open the water line. I used a pair of Channellock pliers to tighten them to the point where I was worried they might crack/snap. This worked for a couple of them, but I still have slow dripping at a few joints.

Any ideas why the fittings are dripping? Should I add more layers of PTFE or not stretch it? I did try adding 5 or so layers, but I wasnt able to fully tighten the nipple.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-08, 09:04 PM
When you are raping the ptfe, make about 5 or even 7 full raps. Putting it tight on the fitting is a good thing. Sometimes them little drips can find the smallest spot to sneak out...lol

Travis

Old 10-01-08, 12:09 PM
You use that many wraps for PVC? I know with galvanized steel that's OK, but I thought PVC required only a couple.

Old 10-01-08, 12:39 PM
Steel or pvc, it doesn't matter. A drip is a drip. I have used that much or either. If there is just one or a few bad threads. It can cause a leak. Make sure there are no cracks in any of your fittings.

Travis