shutoff for sprinkler system?

Old 10-08-08, 01:15 PM
shutoff for sprinkler system?

Hello. I moved into a house about 2 month ago which is equipped with lawn sprinkler system(Ganden brand I think). Unfortunately, the previous owner did not leave much information regarding the system so I am on my own. Currently it does not work(tried turning it on in manual mode) and I am probably not going to spend the $$ or effort to try to figure it out. However I do want to make sure the water is shut off to the system for the winter. I did not see any water shutoff that is marked with the sprinkler system in the basement. Where is shutoff usually located? Is sprinkler system usually plumbed into the house or would it connect to water supply via garden hose from outside faucet?

Your idea is appreciated!

Joe

Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-08, 02:32 PM
Before I moved into my own house I bought a Craftsman 7 gallon compressor (3.7 SCFM at 40psi, 2.4 SCFM at 90psi). Now since winter is approaching, I need to blow out my sprinkler system. I have nine zones, some with up to 5 or 6 sprinklers. I wonder if I need to get a bigger compressor or if it does the job. I don't mind having to do each zone a few times because I don't really want to have to buy a huge compressor. Any ideas if that's enough?

Old 10-18-08, 06:12 AM
This site should be helpful.
http://www.irrigationtutorials.com/

Newt

Old 11-02-08, 11:51 AM
You both have different questions and I will try to help out here.

1. For your shutoff simply cutting the water supply will not be enough, depending on what part of the country you live in. If it drops much below zero, you can freeze the underground lines.

Check out the tutorial first because the shutoff could be in so many places it would be impossible to describe them all. I can think of over a dozens reasons your system may not run at all off the top of my head and it still might not be one of them.

Best bet for the first year would be to hire a company to winterize it for you because you won't have the ability to blow the lines out yourself unless you have a powerful air compressor. Its not high PSI that matters, its volume.

Ask them to show you how to use your system and where everything is--easier to do when you are actually there. I think you will find it well worth the $80 or so to find out. If you break any lines it will cost a lot more than that.

2. The guy who asked about his air compressor--its unlikely you will remove enough water with your air compressor but not impossible. The compressor I use pushes over 100 CFM a minute. Yours will just blow the top layer of water out of the lines and you will think you are getting it all out but it wont.

Get together with a bunch of neighbors and rent a compressor for around $200-300 a day. If you split the cost it may be cheaper than hiring a pro to do the job.