Vinyl hose for no crank hose reel?

Old 10-17-08, 07:11 AM
Vinyl hose for no crank hose reel?

Any one have a recommendation, mfg strongly recommends using a vinyl hose up 5/8"X 100' I have had a bad experience with the current no crank reel using a rubber hose! I have a new one and would like to get it right this time, any constructive comments will be greatly appreciated

Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-08, 09:12 AM
Be sure to go with an upper level quality vinyl hose.The cheaper versions won't be any better than the rubber you've used as far a flexibility is concerned.

Rubber can be stiff ect especially when cold.Cheap vinyl just as much.Better vinyl is really a sandwich of layers and is designed specifically to be flexible.

I can only speak to Ace branded hoses.Where I am we carry a hose that is light green in color and is the best version of vinyl before you reach rubber.It has various names depending on what label it has on it but is often called "super flex" or similar.

If you shop elsewhere this is the type of hose that is being recommended by the reel maker.

Finally the standard hardware store hose warning:

Never leave a hose in sunlight especially in warm/hot weather with both ends closed off such as hooked to the spigot and a closed nozzle on the other end.The water inside the hose will turn to steam,sometimes in minutes,and burst the hose no matter how good the hose is.

Old 10-18-08, 08:32 AM
Thanks for your reply spdavid

Originally Posted by spdavid View Post
Be sure to go with an upper level quality vinyl hose.The cheaper versions won't be any better than the rubber you've used as far a flexibility is concerned.

Rubber can be stiff ect especially when cold.Cheap vinyl just as much.Better vinyl is really a sandwich of layers and is designed specifically to be flexible.

I can only speak to Ace branded hoses.Where I am we carry a hose that is light green in color and is the best version of vinyl before you reach rubber.It has various names depending on what label it has on it but is often called "super flex" or similar.

If you shop elsewhere this is the type of hose that is being recommended by the reel maker.

Finally the standard hardware store hose warning:

Never leave a hose in sunlight especially in warm/hot weather with both ends closed off such as hooked to the spigot and a closed nozzle on the other end.The water inside the hose will turn to steam,sometimes in minutes,and burst the hose no matter how good the hose is.
spdavid, I really appreciate your taking the time to help! It might seem like a trivial issue but when you realize how much you come to depend on these no crank hose reels, it becomes important that they keep working! The proper hose will maximize there lifetime and ensure that happens for as long as possible! Two questions if I might I most like will purchase this hose at Ace but I've noticed Vinyl/Rubber hoses in stores is this the "sandwich of layers" you describe in your post & do you have an Ace model/stock # for the 5/8" X 100' of your best version of vinyl hose so I can know I'm getting the correct one?

Old 10-18-08, 11:15 AM
Well a lot of hoses are sandwiched layered so this particular one isn't unique in that way.It's biggest feature is that it is specifically designed to be flexible.I don't have the item number right off hand (except it starts with a 7 like the rest of lawn and garden does) but when you go into the hose area you can't miss it.It is light green versus the usual darker green of most hoses.If you talk to saleshelp I'm sure they will understand which one you want.It's an Ace top selling hose and part of the lawn and garden planogram.