Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Lawns, Landscaping and Outdoor Decor
Reload this Page >

Is is OK for gutter drainage to cross the leach field?

Old 01-14-09, 10:04 AM

I have a downspout that dumps water out on the surface of the lawn about 4 feet from the house. I want to bury a drain line and route it away from the house, but the yard is pretty flat. I was thinking I could run the drain line out to the edge of yard and let the water dump into a dry well. It's about 30 feet to the fence at the property line.

Just over the fence, the neighbor's property drops off about 3 feet and into a small stream. I suspect the other gutter, which dumps into a buried drain line, is draining into that stream.

My one concern is I'll have to cross the leach field. Figuring an 1/8 inch of drop for every foot, times 30 feet, is 3.75 inches. Plus burying the start of the pipe an initial 12 inches (unless that's overkill).

Am I'm going to have problems or nasty surprises if I dig down almost 16 inches crossing the leach field? I'm planning to use 4 inch solid pipe. Either SDR35 or Schedule 40.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-09, 01:08 PM
Leach field construction requirements tend to vary from area to area. Let's say if total gravel depth is 12" with 6" of top soil on top, that's 18". But, leach field is likely below your local frost line, which puts it deeper. Keep in mind that if French drain is to be 100 long and the grade 1%, then by the time your trench is 50 long, it should be 6" deeper than where you began excavating. Digging, rototilling, and plowing are not recommended over the leach field.

Old 01-14-09, 03:51 PM
Can you not tie this drain into the other gutter drain before it gets to the leach field?

Old 01-15-09, 08:47 AM
Originally Posted by badeyeben View Post
Can you not tie this drain into the other gutter drain before it gets to the leach field?
It will mean a 45 degree bend, or maybe a couple of 30s and 15s, but I think I can do it. I suppose worst case, if it's lower than the existing drain, I could run the new line to the existing line and run the new one parallel to the existing one.

Another thought I had, but didn't really like the idea, was keep it closer to the house, but about 6 feet away, and that would be before the leach field. However, I'm not keen on dumping water so close to the house and close to the leach field.

Old 01-15-09, 09:03 AM
Do NOT run water close to the house. That's the purpose of connecting downspouts to drains to keep it away from the house. You don't necessarily have to tie into the other drain. You can take the most direct route away from the house and leachfield and dig a dry well into which the drain will drain.

Old 01-15-09, 09:44 AM
Originally Posted by kengrubb View Post
Another thought I had, but didn't really like the idea, was keep it closer to the house, but about 6 feet away, and that would be before the leach field. However, I'm not keen on dumping water so close to the house and close to the leach field.
You could use solid pipe so the water is carried away and not dumped near the house.

Newt