Warm Bed/Compost

Old 02-14-09, 08:37 PM
Warm Bed/Compost

I am about to buy a new house and I was thinking about adding a compost bin, and then as I looked around the web I then started to think about a worm bed since I fish from time to time. What I have learned and researched, it is pretty easy. My question is I was going to build it in a breeze of the house, . I was thinking about putting it in the back right on the side of garage but the house. I was going to build a wooden frame, I haven't decided on the size yet. My question is what has been the best to put on the bottom, to keep worms from going underground and on top from keeping them from crawling out?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-09, 09:07 PM
I am not an expert on this subject although I did an extensive amount of research into the subject of producing composted soil with worms as I was looking into another business to start.

Plastic 5 gal. buckets with lids seem to work well. Anything you do on this subject with wood will require considerable time and money, the wood will rot out fairly quick.

"My question is what has been the best to put on the bottom, to keep worms from going underground and on top from keeping them from crawling out?"
glass and Plexiglas would work well, but then you have the issue of your wood frame rotting out.

Old 02-15-09, 08:52 AM
[QUOTE= issue of your wood frame rotting out.[/QUOTE]

I was thinking about a wood frame like a flower beds are made with, so I think it could rot out at some point but not real quickly. I figured the wood would look better then having a plastic bin.

The Plexiglas is a good idea.