over grown brushes of all kinds

Old 03-14-09, 01:10 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
over grown brushes of all kinds

Hello!
I hope someone can help me out. I have alot of different kinds of bushes which are all over grown by about 10 years and I would like to cut them all back. Is it okay to cut them about a foot up from the ground? Its ok if I have to wait a few years for them to come back. Question is will they?
thanks for the help,
In northern Jersey,
Cathy

Old 03-15-09, 04:45 PM
T
Without knowing what kinds of bushes these are nobody could answer if its okay to cut them in the manner you describe.

I don't know of many bushes that would come back if you cut them down to 12" and expected them to come back, but I am not a plant expert, either. But since they all make their food in their leaves (well, absorb energy at least), I can't imagine many plants would survive.

Old 03-15-09, 08:46 PM
N
Hi Cathy,

I agree with The Captain. Do you know the names of any of them? Do you have pictures, especially if they have flowers included. Some shrubs can be renovated over a 3 year period, such as lilac, by cutting the one third of the oldest trunks to the ground each year for 3 years. Sometimes just cutting a shrub the way you are describing will send it into shock and it won't survive.

Newt

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: