Crab Grass - seeding/fertilizer what goes first

Old 04-05-09, 07:16 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Crab Grass - seeding/fertilizer what goes first

I live in New England and my lawn is suffering to say the least. I have raked the dead grass/stick etc. and would like to fertilize with crab grass control but I am concerned that this will kill the young grass I have growing. Is this accurate? And once I put fertilizer down how long should I wait before I plant new grass seed?

If this is not correct way to attack please advise.

Old 04-05-09, 09:47 AM
S
Originally Posted by kgjones View Post
I live in New England and my lawn is suffering to say the least. I have raked the dead grass/stick etc. and would like to fertilize with crab grass control but I am concerned that this will kill the young grass I have growing. Is this accurate? And once I put fertilizer down how long should I wait before I plant new grass seed?

If this is not correct way to attack please advise.
Established grass,that has at least 2 or 3 mowings under it's belt,would be unaffected by crabgrass control.Crabgrass control works by killing the seed that germinates into crabgrass each season.That's how crabgrass works,it sprouts from seeds left by the previous generation.Newer sprouted seed may be impacted by crabgrass control so read the bag instructions as this varies from product to product especially from the standpoint of how long to wait.

If you put down crabgrass control that has fertilizer you must wait 4-6 weeks before you can seed behind it.There is an exception which is a specific Scott's product sold by Scott's Lawn Pro dealers which is a crabgrass control for seeding.It is knowns a Step 1 for seeding.

The best type of straight fertilizer to use when seeding is starter fertilizer which is formulated to aid in seed establishment and growth.

If you have not put down crabgrass control and still plan to it's getting very late,maybe too late.Knowledgeable saleshelp at a local hardware store or garden center can help you with what works best in your area and whether you still have time for crabgrass control.

Old 04-05-09, 09:58 AM
W
Crabgrass control

In New England, just like western NY, I don't think the forsythia has started to bloom yet - we always use that as a guideline for when to apply crabgrass control. When you see forsythia blooming in your area, put down the crabgrass control. Have used Scott's and found it works well.

Old 04-05-09, 12:34 PM
K
my major concern is killing the young grass that is strarting to grow. It has not been mowed this season and is just coming out of the ground. I have gotten mixed responses on whether or not the crab grass control will kill this grass.

So basically what I have is - a lot of dead grass 1/2 lawn with some complete dirt spots, 1/4 new grass growing (not resently planted just seems to be getting a slow start) and 1/4 healthy. What should my plan of attack be.

I have never had much luck with a nice thick lawn.

Old 04-06-09, 08:45 AM
S
Originally Posted by kgjones View Post
my major concern is killing the young grass that is strarting to grow. It has not been mowed this season and is just coming out of the ground. I have gotten mixed responses on whether or not the crab grass control will kill this grass.

So basically what I have is - a lot of dead grass 1/2 lawn with some complete dirt spots, 1/4 new grass growing (not resently planted just seems to be getting a slow start) and 1/4 healthy. What should my plan of attack be.

I have never had much luck with a nice thick lawn.
Well "dead" grass needs to be removed and suggests either crab from last season...or you have a bigger problem that is killing your lawn,,,which opens the door to a variety of possibilities.

I can't tell you with certainty what will happen to the newly sprouted grass if you use crabgrass control.I suggest you find the crabgrass control for seeding,a Scott's Lawn Pro product,and use that so you can seed soon since you have a serious amount of dead and bare lawn areas.

Even if the product damages what new grass you have you can reseed behind it soon and replace anything that is lost while dealing with all the rest of the areas.You'll need to get going because you need spring planted grass to have enough time to become well established ahead of summer type weather when hot and dry conditions can kill off young grass.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: