mulching, water

Old 04-22-09, 07:44 PM
mulching, water

i have two big rocks at entrance of my driveway. the builders burried a bunch of wood chips below them when the cleared the lot out. I dug up as much as i could. i then edged a circle and put down mulch. it rained a lot this weekend and i noticed the water was just sitting in the bed water logging the mulch as the mulch was floating around in the water.
How can fix this? i didnt put very much mulch, maybe less than an inch thick of mulch. Also when i made the bed it is a flat bed, It was not elevated. I removed a bunch of the dirt and made it flat then added the mulch.
SHOULD I REMOVE THE MULCH AND ADD DIRT TO ELEVATE THE DIRT ABOUT LAWNS LEVEL?
THANKS FOR RESPONSES!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-09, 08:21 PM
Hi Moreira,

I'm not sure I understand what the situation is other then it sounds like you have a pile of mulch around some large rocks that are in a hole or depression with no soil. If that is the case then it sounds like it would be best to remove the mulch and fill the gaps/hole/depression with soil and then add the mulch on top.

If that's not it, how about some pictures?

Also, you don't have to yell with your caps. We can 'hear' you.

Newt

Old 04-23-09, 07:24 AM
Pic

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/l...er20080032.jpgthis is a before picture. you can see all the old shredded mulch they had around the rock that was burried under ground. i dug up as much of the wood chips as i could, added dirt around the rock so that soil around it was level with the lawn then put new mulch just under an inch thick around the rock. the problem is that when it rains water stays in this circle making it water logged making the mulch float and ruining color. should i add more mulch , 3 inches or take out mulch and elevate the bed with more soil.

Old 04-23-09, 03:12 PM
If you raise the soil bed, it will drain better.

Old 04-23-09, 03:53 PM
Moreira, I agree with Chfite.

Newt