Lilac bush, rarely BLOOMS?

Old 04-29-09, 08:37 PM
Question Lilac bush, rarely BLOOMS?

We have a healthy Lilac bush, gets lots of sun, plenty of water, it is approx 6 feet tall, 3 foot in diameter, but rarely BLOOMS. It seems very healthy, but only BLOOMS approx. every 3-4 years, and then lightly.

Help?

Thank You,

Dale in Indy

Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-09, 01:04 PM
Super Moderator
Let me ask you, do you ever prune it or cut back some? I have one, and I always cut it back and gets lots of lilacs each year. There's probably a special time of year you're supposed to do it, but I just do it sometime during the summer.
I've also noticed if they start to bloom early and we get a cold spell or frost, they don't always finish blooming.

Old 04-30-09, 02:15 PM
Yes I have cut it back. I read once that what works best is to each year cut back to approx. 6 inches from the ground 1/3rd. of the bush. This would mean that every three years the bush has been completly cut back and new growth. I have shaped it every year, but doesn't seem to do much of anything. I will KEEP TRYING.

Thanks,

Dale in Indy

Old 04-30-09, 06:11 PM
Super Moderator
That made me think about when I first planted it. I just got a new puppy (a very big one) that liked to chew things, and he kept chewing down my lilac bush for 2 years. I kept thinking it was going to die, but it just kept growing back bushier and bushier.
I do cut it down about half way every few years, so you may be on to something. I haven't cut it all the way down, but I still get a fair amount of lilacs.

Old 04-30-09, 07:52 PM
lilac bush

I would go to a nursery-- they have fertilizers that are geared toward enhancing the bloom versus root growth. Also think about having the soil tested.

Old 05-01-09, 05:36 PM
The major reasons for lilacs not blooming well are:
Pruning improperly - best to prune to clean up and remove spent blooms 2 weeks after it finishes blooming. Lilacs set their buds for the following year after that. If renewing an old tired lilac that is overgrown, prune 1/3 of the oldest trunks flush to the ground each year. This is probably only needed to be done every 10 years or so. It can take 5 to 7 years before the new sprouts will bloom.

Not enough sun - lilacs need full sun.

Too much nitrogen fertilizer. Lilacs planted in lawns that get fertilized often will not bloom well.

Soil is too acid - lilacs prefer soil on the alkaline side. Add a cup of lime to the top of the soil and scratch it in.

My lilac hadn't bloomed for 10 years when I discovered the acid soil info. I had planted the lilac where pine trees had previously grown. I added a cup of lime and the next years I was pleases with the wonderful show of flowers.

This should be helpful.
http://lilacs.freeservers.com//lilac_tips.html
http://www.gardenersnet.com/lilac/lilac02.htm
http://www.ipm.iastate.edu/ipm/hortn...993/lilac.html

Newt