Weed invasion in Rug Junipers

Old 05-03-09, 05:32 AM
Weed invasion in Rug Junipers

I have about 1500 sq. ft. of mature rug junipers that have been invaded by broad-leaf grass. Any suggestions on how to get rid of it? I have tried pulling, which is only temporary, due to it's spread by rhizomes. Chemical solution without killing junipers? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-09, 08:06 AM
Originally Posted by alwaysworking View Post
I have about 1500 sq. ft. of mature rug junipers that have been invaded by broad-leaf grass. Any suggestions on how to get rid of it? I have tried pulling, which is only temporary, due to it's spread by rhizomes. Chemical solution without killing junipers? Thanks!
Try a pre emergent.
Over the counter: Preen at your local hardware store.

Old 05-03-09, 10:11 AM
Alwaysworking, I would lift up the parts of the shrubs that can be lifted, remove as much of the runners as possible and then cover the soil with 6 layers of dampened newspaper. If you dampen the newspaper as you work it's much less likely to blow away in the wind. The newspaper will break down over time and help to smother any grass that wants to sprout. You will probably need a thin (1") layer of mulch on top of the newspaper. Next year you should find you have less and less weeds.

Also consider giving a well defined edge to the area where these are planted so grass doesn't invade the area. Take a look at 'dropped lawn edge here.
http://www.hgtv.com/home-improvement...ion/index.html

Newt