Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Lawns, Landscaping and Outdoor Decor
Reload this Page >

Help finding a pump to pull water from nearby lake

Old 05-14-09, 08:10 PM
F
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post

I am looking to pull some water from a lake that borders my property.

I prefer not to use a submersible pump if at all possible.

I would like to put the pump approximately 30 feet (pull) from the water source and then (push) the water about 200 feet uphill (about 50 foot head) to a garden hose manifold and run 3 or 4 generic tripod style sprinklers.

I have a 20 amp 12/2WG wire UG to outlet about halfway down the hill and was hoping to use a heavy 10 gauge extension cord down to where the pump is to be staged.

Is there anything out there that I can buy to do this? The outlet would dedicated solely to the pump and 12/2UG is on a standalone 20 amp breaker from my 200 amp house panel. Is there too much voltage drop resulting too little amps for this idea?

Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks. FF

Old 05-16-09, 04:53 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
So long as you purchase a pump using 110 volts you should be fine with that. I am no electrician, but plenty of runs I have seen have been with guages smaller than that.

However, I do not reccomend you use an extension cord. Use cable rated for underground burial. You may want to ask a moderator to move this to the electrical question area.

As far as a pump goes, if you are only running 3-4 tripods then a 1 horse or 1.5 HP pump should suffice.

With a 20 foot run to your tripods and figuring that your heads are each shooting about 3 gallons a minute or so.

Old 05-16-09, 08:41 AM
F
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post

Can anyone recommend an electric irrigation pump that would work for the scenario described in my original post?

Thanks

Old 05-16-09, 04:17 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Some of this depends on budget, but you are going to want a self priming pump to make life a whole lot easier. Berkley is one brand I have used and like:

Berkeley Pumps - Water pumps for irrigation, industrial, and commercial applications.

They have a section called irrigation pumps, then go to their self-priming section and find one that fits your needs.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: