Stump Ground Wood Chips

Old 05-24-09, 11:49 AM
Stump Ground Wood Chips

Last year I had two stumps ground. I went the cheap route and didn't have them haul away the wood chips figuring I could do it cheaper. I was wrong. What is the best way to deal with them? I'm not a gardener and don't have a huge lawn, but people have told me to let it compost into mulch. I don't even know what that means or what I would use it for. It's just as much soil as it is wood chips, so it's too heavy for the electric arms of the garbage truck. Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-09, 01:49 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Well, if you had a corner of the yard you could pile it up in, uncovered, it will go through a heat and compost itself. You can throw kitchen scraps on it, leaves, etc. and it will all become good "soil" for a gardner nearby.

Old 06-12-09, 11:31 PM
If you do decide to compost it like the other poster suggested, it will break down faster if you sprinkle the pile with a high nitrogen fertilizer and water it in every month or so. if you don't have any use for the compost you could always put out a few smaller bags at a time for the trash to pick up.