Sand choice for installing patio blocks

Old 06-16-09, 11:20 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sand choice for installing patio blocks

Hi, I really need some help! I hired a handy man to install patio blocks in my backyard, but he mistakenly picked up the "Play Sand" instead of the "Step 2 Paver Leveling Sand". Does the Play Sand work like the Leveling Sand? Or should I remove the sand that's already on the ground and get the Leveling Sand? I want the patio to last long and don't want it to be unsafe. Can you please advise me what I should do? Thank you in advance!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-09, 10:34 PM
N
Hi Cactaur,

I think you will find that the play sand will attract ants, etc and will shift over time, especially if there is no frame to hold it in place. Sounds like you need to have him remove the play sand and use a polymeric sand or builders sand

Newt

Old 06-26-09, 06:36 AM
A
sand

Even if you use builder's sand, I would be wary of ant. There is a chemical you can sprinkle on the sand before the patio goes in that will help control them. Just keep it away from kids and pets. I think it's diazonine?, but ask at a hardware store.

Old 07-06-09, 10:59 AM
C
Thank you very much for the information. The patio blocks are already placed now and I have been noticing so many ants already! Plus the worker I hired abandoned the project in the middle and didn't return my calls... This is what you get for hiring some random guy on Craig's list. I will try to find what the chemical is at the hardware store. Thanks for your help. Nikki