Pressure Compensating Dripper?


Old 06-24-09, 12:40 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 308
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Pressure Compensating Dripper?

OK, I have put in several drip systems but it's been a few years.
So today I was in Lowe's and looking and the drippers all stated they were pressure compensating types.
There was nobody to ask and no literature to read or take as in years past. I came home and Googled them and they talk about uniform flow.
My question is, I intend to put in a small system using the 1/2" tubing with the 1/4" lines off it for the drippers.
With these new pressure compensating drippers do I need a pressure regulator at the house valve as we did before or not?
If I remember right in days past they were like a 15-25 PSI pressure regulator.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-09, 01:22 PM
Gunguy45's Avatar
Super Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 21,113
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Yes...the drippers only provide the regulated flow w/in a specific range (say 10-25 psi)..not at full house pressure (45-60 psi maybe). No expert..just what I found in my research. And of course that was for the brand I had available.
Old 06-24-09, 03:19 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 308
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Yes that's what I am finding.
These drippers that sell for more money stating that they are self regulating are miss leading as far as I am concerned.
Old 06-24-09, 03:31 PM
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Michigan
Posts: 386
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If you do not route your drip properly, it can drip out faster in one area than another... say, right near your valve would leak faster than 50' away if you just laid it in a straight line.

Your dripline should typically be in a loop fashion and be fed from more than 1 place if it is too big--which is something you only get from experience.

You may still want to install a flow control or pressure compensating valve in case you are not using a large volume of this drip because the excess force can blow your fittings off. If your water pressure is not high (say, above 50 PSI or so) then you will probably be just fine using a normal valve.

If you are not running a whole lot of dripline it probably does not matter which type you use, but pressure compensating line is a superior product.
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: