Dry Well Construction

Old 07-22-09, 10:57 AM
Dry Well Construction

I am thinking I need to install a dry well to alleviate a drainage nuisance stemming from consdensation line from the AC unit and would like some feed back on what I am proposing to do.

Two years ago I dug a hole in the ground about 2ft X 2ft X 2ft. and filled it with stone. Since then, during summer when the AC is running, the soil surface directly above it has been saturated and sometimes it ponds water. Last week I poked a hole with an auger down to 4 feet and the hole filled with water. The subsoil is clay which probably explains why the water isn't percolating.

Last night I used an auger with 4 feet extensions and augered down to about 8 feet. From the surface to about 6 feet was clay and silty clay and from 6 to 8 feet I encountered sand. Last night water was at 4 feet below the ground and this morning I didn't see any water in the hole, so I guess that water is percolating through the sand layer now (vertically and/or horizontally).

I was thinking of puting a 2 inch PVC pipe just above the ground surface to collect the AC's condensation. I would put a 90 degree elbow and extend the pipe underground to a 3 inch PVC pipe that would go down to about 8 feet. The last 2 feet would be perforated or slotted to allow water to filter out into the sand.

Does this sound okay? Should I fill the PVC with rock?, cap the pipe?, use a filter or sock?

Thanks for your time and suggestions.

Elliot.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-09, 03:19 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums. You've done the hard work, congratulations! I would definitely put a sock over the perforated end of the pvc that you will have go into the sand, just to keep it all clean and free running. Rock??, probably not, but cap the pipe, insert your drain into it through a drilled hole and see what happens. Good luck with it, and let us know after a while if it is working or not.