Orbit replacement solenoid valves?

Old 07-25-09, 03:15 PM
Orbit replacement solenoid valves?

HI All,

New here and looking for a little help about my automatic sprinklers.

I have these Orbit brass automatic sprinkler valves (very expensive and made to upgrade the Champion/Orbit brass manual bodies to the auto version controlled by the electronic box) with I believe 12V solenoids on them. I bought these to convert to automatic watering.

The issue I have with some of these valves is that they either leak or stop working altogether. Others that I've installed are fine and have been working for quite some time. The thing is that I can't seem to be able to find these little solenoids to buy anywhere and have been forced to buy the entire upgrade kit at $50 a pop just to get the solenoid!

Does anyone have any idea on where I might be able to purchase just the solenoid instead of the whole thing? I'm not talking about the ones that go into the plastic version. Those solenoids you can get at Home Depot, these are for the brass version and look completely different. Oh, and it's the 3/4" inch size of valve if that makes any difference.

Thanks in advance,

Les.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-09, 07:42 AM
Unfortunately brass valves are fairly out-dated. Your best bets to find parts are:

1. A local irrigation supply warehouse or sprinkler company who can get the solenoids for you.

2. The internet. Search for the model number and brand and see if you can find a match.

Another option for you would be to replace the whole valve outright. Its a lot more work but will end up causing you less money in the long run. Your valves will either be 1" or 1.5".

A more modern plastic valve would cost you more upfront but those brass valves will cause you constant trouble and cost more money in parts in a few years.

Old 07-26-09, 01:55 PM
Thanks for the info, Captain. I'll look around at the pipe and supply places and see if I can find them.

Old 07-26-09, 05:43 PM
I think you will pay quite a bit for them, and I hope they work for you. But a valve that old usually does not work once you "touch it". Its just the nature of those old sprinkler parts. It seems if you look at them funny they are done working properly. I wish you luck.