Weed control in rock yard

Old 07-27-09, 11:22 AM
Weed control in rock yard

I have a backyard with NO (wanted) grass.
Approx 40' x 70'.

I do, however, have too many weeds to control.

I have used Round-Up and generic equivalents, Vegetation Killer (various names/brands)....but I am spending far too much each season for these chemicals.

I have yet been able to locate GCM locally.

I tried 10lbs of rock salt in an area and saw no progress.

Any other natural/chemical suggestions for long term weed control?

They are currently so out of control that in areas, the weeds are 3 feet tall. There is a lot of weedy ground cover.

I'd like to see it all gone !

I am very close to a flamethrower at this point. ha

Thanks in advance.
JW
Southern Indiana

Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-09, 12:06 PM
Super Moderator
Well..you said it...a weed burner might be a good option for ongoing control...roundup or similar needs to be used when they first sprout...I do our areas about every 2 weeks. We have a lot of wind and blowing seeds..so its a requirement.

I'd use a weedburner here...if I could find one cheap.

I mean things similar to these...not endorsing this brand or anything....Red Dragon Vapor Propane Torch Kits - Best Weed Burners Available - Hundreds of Uses Year Round including Natural Weed Control.

Old 07-27-09, 01:56 PM
You say you've used RoundUp and equivalents but have you used any product with longer control?Since you're situation involves a long term total kill and no desirable grasses you need to be looking at vegetation killers specifically designed for long term control which RoundUp is not.

Also you need to shop where you get saleshelp that has knowledge which means not a big box store.find a local hardware store or garden center preferably an independent.Many of these businesses have access to either products or levels of training not available at big box.Scott's,which owns Ortho and RoundUp has specific product lines and training classes/seminars that only independent retail can get.This would include Ace,True Value and similar hardware stores.

Also I have to wonder if some of your problem plants are not classified as broadleaf weeds but as woody plants which would need a different product to kill.The same goes for some grasses,they need a specific grass product especially for killing beyond the immediate.