Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Lawns, Landscaping and Outdoor Decor
Reload this Page >

Type of trees to rise above fenceline to block view of neighbors?

Old 08-06-09, 07:00 PM

Hi all,

We're buying a new house, and though it's fully landscaped, I'm 6'7" and see right over the 6' fence into the neighbors' yards. I'd like to plant some trees that over time will grow to at least 7'+ to block the view. However, though I have no green thumbs at all, I know to be concerned with planting trees near fences. I don't want to pick a species whose roots will hurt the fence or the concrete sidewalk nearby. And I don't want a species which will be too bushy and take over my sidewalk space.

We're still in escrow (here in Southern California), so I can't measure right now the room I have to work with, but I think I have only a foot or two of earth between the fence and the sidewalk.

Any suggestions which type of trees I should consider planting? Or perhaps even shrubs?

Thanks!
Oy.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-09, 09:31 PM
skyrocket juniper is the only one I can think of, but even that is too large for the area you describe. It will die off that close to the fence in my opinion.

Old 08-09-09, 06:12 AM
If the neighbour is in agreement, and there are no local By-Laws about privacy fence height, you could top the existing fence with 12" - 18" of lattice.

If done properly, it would look like it was always part of the fence. Depending on the type of lattice, you would still have visibility thru the fence, but at least partial screening.

Old 08-09-09, 06:53 AM
could he grow something on the lattice, too? to make it more of a true screen?

Old 08-20-09, 03:15 PM
trees

We bought 10 of the thuja green giant trees. They are arborvitaes and will grow up to 3 feet a year, although it does take a year or so to start getting that growth. I would stagger them so it's not a straight line, as I think that makes it more interesting. These can get very tall, but you can sheer them like a hedge to keep them at 8-10 feet or so.

Thuja Green Giant, Evergreen Trees, Thuja Plicata Arborvitae Trees

Old 08-20-09, 03:31 PM
Thanks for the tips, folks, keep 'em coming! Those thuja sound near perfect, by the way. I'll definitely investigate them.