Flower Bed next to air vents???

Old 08-16-09, 12:52 PM
Flower Bed next to air vents???

My husband I just bought a home that has a crawl space. I want to plant flower beds and he says that it isn't a good idea because moisture and water will stand and effect the foundation. I find this hard to believe since everyone has flowerbeds. I do realize that we would have to make some sort of brick/stone barrier to allow air flow but is this a safe and acceptable thing to do? What are your ideas? Thanks.
tp

Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-09, 07:22 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Since you have soil outside the foundation, it's going to be wet anyway... adding flowers won't really change the water content of the soil around your house.

That said, you'll want to keep bushes and flowers trimmed back from your house siding as any leaves held up against the siding will keep moisture against the siding which is a bad thing.

Similarly, you always want to have the ground slope away from the house a bit to reduce moisture problems.

Regardless, you should be fine planting flowers and/or bushes along the house as long as you plan for the fact that they will grow and you want to keep them 4-6" away from the house.

Plant away!

Old 08-18-09, 08:43 PM
As someone who's home is flower bed surrounded on 3 sides ,if it's a problem to plant around the house , oohhh I'm in BIG trouble .
Seriously, I agree with the above poster. Planting generally doesn't change anything or create havoc as long as care is taken in planning and trimming a bit if neccessary.
In my case, planting has actually helped more than it would harm as when we bought this house 4 years ago, there were problems with runoff when it rained the way our house is situated on the hill.
My DH said then he was sure I could fix it and I did, now he tells people we live in the house behind the jungle. LOL
Plant away ,combat our lovely AR weather with gusto and enjoy I say .

Old 08-19-09, 04:07 PM
vent??

What should I do to prevent the mulch from getting and or blocking the air vents that are at the ground level? This is what concerns my husband. thanks so much for your input!!

Old 08-19-09, 07:26 PM
You don't mention how many vents you will be coping with but my mind first went to the wide array of materials you could choose from and build them in as a bed feature of sorts but more born of neccessity than a plan.
My vents are several inches above ground level so I haven't faced this issue but my fix-all of choice for problem areas is large rocks but that's my likes, perhaps not for everyone.
In order to control the mulch getting in, perhaps a half circle of rocks surrounding each vent. There would also be the options of the black landscapers plastic or green metal edging which could be cut to fit and secured. Decorative bricks stacked a couple of rows high in a little square around the vent is an option.
These were the first options that came to mind but perhaps someone else will come along with some ideas as well.
Generally I think just about any material you "like" that will hold up well to watering would be an option so long as you leave breathing room for the vents themselves.
Whatever you use will probably for the most part be well camoflauged by the plantings themselves and problems averted.

Old 08-19-09, 07:34 PM
Right again

As a woman, it is my duty to proudly tell my husband, right again! I told him that we could use stone. As it turns out, we are in the middle of tearing down a built in carport that was made of stone. (We are making a garage because I dislike the stone mixed with our brick home.) I plan on using the stone to "make" the flowerbeds. I told him him that we would be able to make a barrier and he argued that it wouldn't work and I thought the same as you, Milosmom, just make a semi-circle "barrier" around the vent to prevent blocking it! I am 29 and this is our first home so I am not experienced in flowerbeds but didn't see why my thinking wouldn't work! Thanks for the input! Can't wait for spring to plant my beautiful flowerbeds!!!

Old 08-19-09, 09:28 PM
You're very welcome .
I personally find there is nothing wrong with telling DH "I'm right" , I've been doing it for years, good thing he has a sense of humor.
I'm inching onward to the big 3-0 in a few months myself ,working on my 2nd DH & 3rd longterm home but I've been gardening for as long as I can remember. I find it to be great self therapy.
I'm stubborn to a degree and don't neccessarily plant "by the rules". Other than shade plants for shade and sun plants for sun , I plant what & where I want and if things don't work out , my trusty shovel will take care of that. So far, it's worked out pretty well.
You're so lucky to have such a treasure trove of rocks so readily available in the removal of the carport. Since the only rocks that were here are the ones that serve as the entire foundation of my house, it was imperative that I haul mine in and oiiii there have been many backbreaking loads. lol
Spring is so far away for us yet but I've already taken to doodling out new ideas for next year from time to time. Gives me something to pull out and think about through the winter. It's an addiction I swear. lol

Old 03-05-10, 05:07 AM
I am not exactly getting what you are discussing?? Can you please elaborate it?
So that i can share my thoughts here.. Thank you.

first wedding anniversary presents delivery