Do I Need a Backflow Valve for Hose-Sprinkler?

Old 09-29-09, 10:16 AM
Question Do I Need a Backflow Valve for Hose-Sprinkler?

We're re-landscaping a 40' x 40' backyard in San Diego that was totally neglected by the previous owner. We'd like to put in a small (20' x 30') lawn area for our kids, a play area with a swing and a sandbox, and two rows of vegetable garden, and plant shrubs and ground cover for the remaining areas. We can't afford an in-ground sprinkler system, so I was going to just attach one of these faucet manifolds ...

... to our backyard exterior faucet, and make an above-ground sprinkler system with 3 different zones. Each of the 3 zones would be fed by a garden hose with a battery-operated timer. One of the 3 would be a sprinkler for the lawn. A second would be for the vegetable garden, and the third for a drip hose for the shrubs and ground cover. The 4th valve would be for a garden hose for manual hose use.

My question is, do I need to attach a back-flow preventer valve in my set-up? If so, can I attach one just at the top of the manifold? Or do I need one for each of the 3 manifold outlet valves connected to a sprinker or drip hose? Is there one you recommend?

Also, do you see any problems with what I'm planning to do?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-09, 11:30 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
One between faucet and manifold is fine. First, check your faucet. It may already be an anti syphon type.

Old 09-29-09, 12:34 PM
Originally Posted by goldstar View Post
One between faucet and manifold is fine. First, check your faucet. It may already be an anti syphon type.
How would I identify it? It looks like a very simple bronze hose bibb. Looks like this:

The house was built in the 70's.