saving old trees

Old 10-30-09, 04:21 PM
saving old trees

I am totally new to this site but have been searching for info on saving some mature trees. My dilemma is that the State has widened the road in back of my home, removing an existing house but leaving surplus property of 100 feet by 50 feet. This property is being offered to me and includes a couple of mature English walnut trees. During the construction project they attempted to bring this property up to grade and pushed 2 to 3 feet of fill around these trees. I knew that this might kill the trees so planned on removing the dirt in an area about 5 feet from the trunk. I really cannot remove much more than that without effecting the grade.

In reading this forum I discover that this may not be enough to save these trees as the canopy extends much wider than that and also the compaction of the construction equipment may have already caused irreversible damage.

I guess my question is; would I be ahead to simply remove these trees, saving time and effort or would the effort be worth it.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-09, 10:48 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! What a shame about the trees. It is likely all the activity as well as the added dirt will have bad consequences on the trees. What you propose may work, you just never know. I would try it, and in the event they make it a couple of years, then you may have beat the clock. If not, and the trees are truly old growth, you may have someone take them down for the wood content and pay you for them in addition. I have a black walnut tree about 24" in diameter for about 30' clear that fell in a recent storm (right across my garden!). The local lumber mill has offered to come take it away, clean it all up and take another pine tree at no cost. Being a carpenter, I see the value in the wood, and they will make a little money on the deal. So what. Works for both of us.