soil grading/landscaping ?

Old 03-16-10, 11:42 AM
soil grading/landscaping ?

I want to ask a pro if its possible to change the grading of my property so that the water runs away from the house. Who do I call for that, a landscaper?

Any recommendations in the westchester, NY area? Someone who won't sell me something I don't need.

And I also want to redo the driveway, is that landscapers too? It's hard to do a search for these things without knowing the business type. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-10, 11:57 AM
Super Moderator
Most places have "grading" in their ads. A landscaper MIGHT be able to do around the house but there are probably better choices. When I had a place built...the same companies that dug the foundations usually came back and did the grading after construction had progressed far enough...the landscapers just did flower beds, plantings and lawns..

Out here a materials supplier (topsoil, fill, sand, gravel, etc) would do grading.

What is your driveway made of? You would probably want a paving company if asphalt and a concrete company if concrete. Though the same person might be able to do both..best to stick to who knows it best.

Old 03-16-10, 12:05 PM
Originally Posted by Gunguy45 View Post
Most places have "grading" in their ads. A landscaper MIGHT be able to do around the house but there are probably better choices. When I had a place built...the same companies that dug the foundations usually came back and did the grading after construction had progressed far enough...the landscapers just did flower beds, plantings and lawns..

Out here a materials supplier (topsoil, fill, sand, gravel, etc) would do grading.

What is your driveway made of? You would probably want a paving company if asphalt and a concrete company if concrete. Though the same person might be able to do both..best to stick to who knows it best.
so look for people who dig foundations? What are they called?

Don't know what the driveway is made up off. Asphalt since it is black right? Cement would be gray correct?

Old 03-16-10, 12:24 PM
Super Moderator
Correct...asphalt is a tar and stone type product....concrete is cement and stone.

And ...to be clear...not saying a landscaping company CAN'T do it...it just depends on their expertise. Many that I knew just had basic tools with the minimum required power equipment. Guess that could be the difference between landscaper and gardener.

The yellow pages here has a section for "grading" and "excavating". If the job is smaller than what they want, most will be able to recommend someone. Same goes for landscapers..if its bigger than they can do..they will probably know someone.

Just make sure whoever does it knows about rules for causing problems with others homes...and not to just pile dirt up against the house....