Wooden Fence Posts: Concrete or Gravel/Dirt?

Old 03-16-10, 07:48 PM
Wooden Fence Posts: Concrete or Gravel/Dirt?

After receiving 2 quotes so far (roughly the same price), I was surprised to learn that one man does not set his posts in concrete, he simply tamps back the dirt in which he dug the hole from, while the other gentleman does the typical concrete set (which I've usually seen done). The "non-concrete" guy explained that although pressure treated, the concrete will cause the post to rot. Out of curiosity, I google'd this idea, and this seems to be a hottly contested debate: fence post set in dirt/gravel or cement.

I live in Central NJ. What are your thoughts/experiences with your fences, how they've held up over the years based on their post settings, and possibly advice for a 1st time home-owner.

BTW, living next to small town parking lot, my fence will be subject to pretty good winds. I can see the benefit of pickets with gaps in between for less wind resistence, but for privacy reasons, we are opting for a 6' with no gap in the pickets.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-10, 12:26 PM
Setting Fence Posts

With the fence you describe, the posts most definitely need to be set in concrete.