Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Lawns, Landscaping and Outdoor Decor
Reload this Page >

Backyard flooding problem- best way to block water ?

Old 03-19-10, 11:18 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

With huge Northeaster rainstorm for last 3 days straight
My backyard flooded and need/want to block off lots water
coming in from next door neighbors' backyard into mine.

I have a chain link fence on the propertyboundary and
some azalea bushes with barkmulch/dirt, small 1/2 foot of mounding grade - BUT the flood waters broke thru in few different places during 1st day of storm and floooded bad my backyard and part of basement.

I want to build up this boundary under the chainlink fence way higher better than is now.

What is best material to stop/block/slow any water on surface (or underground to maybe 1-2 feet) from coming
thru the fence ?

House is in Boston suburbs -
We have a very high water table (and believe there is an underground brook/creek runs diagonally right thru middle of our backyard out to front to street - which really adds to the water problems)

Best dirt to block the water from running under fence into my yard ?
- clay
- sand
- regular plain dirt
- something else - like a cement or brick wall ?

I read clay has the most compaction.
Will putting in rocks mixed in help or hurt ?
What about laying in some clear vinyl or some rubber tarp first and then backfilling dirt on my side of fence ?

Would clay type dirt be best/better than sand or regular dirt - to pile it up about 2 feet higher and compact it and build like a berm ?

In New Orleans flooding they use dirt levees (berms) and they hold back the Miss river (most of time)

Thanks

Old 03-19-10, 01:02 PM
B
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Just remember we only get 10 inches of rain every four years or so. LOL

IMO, you could build a concrete wall with a deep footing but the water could just find its way around the wall - if it worked at all.

You stand a better chance of success grading your lot so that your neighbor's water flows past your house out to the street. Don't send it to another neighbor.

BTW, I assume that you have a good sump pump (or two).

Old 03-19-10, 01:17 PM
P
That's what Im asking - Im gonnna grade it - but I m asking what is best way and best material ?
I need to block as much of water I can (let it build up and pool on other side of fence in the neighbor's yard instead of mine) and also
try to french or surface trench drain away other water to direct any other water that will ultimately still get thru and get that water out to street via a trench or drain ditch.
-----
How about using some buried sandbags first to build up a large berm and use propylene sandbags (wont disintegrate) and fill them with sand and then cover the top with dirt and barkmulch (to make look nice)

Would the sandbags over the years buried under dirt work for my problem ya think ?

Last edited by philb00; 03-19-10 at 01:44 PM.
Old 03-19-10, 01:53 PM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Damming up the water so it floods your neighbors property is not a good solution and will leave you liable for any related damage over there. The guidelines I have seen in several states are, you cannot alter the surface water entering or exiting your property. Obviously stated differently in different locations, but if you dam it up and create a problem on that side, you are responsible. If you direct the water across your property to another neighbor and cause a problem, again, you are responsible. Directing it to the street or dealing with it on your property are the best options.

What are the current drainage options off of your property?

Bud

Old 03-20-10, 01:06 PM
P
Thanks - but Im not daming up and flooding water into neighbors' yard. The main load of water is coming from "their" yard into my yard under my fence.
So I have every right to grade or build up "my" land on "My" side of fence and try to prevent/block any water coming in under my fence.

Just like many homeowners build up all around close to foundation lots of dirt and slope off towards both adjacent houses and results in whoever is the lowest of the two - gets all the water unless there's some gully/ditch/trench running down middle inbetween.

I'm still asking what is best material/combination to use build up a berm or ground on my side ?
- clay
- sand
- dirt
- sandbags convered/landscaped over with dirt.

I've read clay has least amt of porosity than others.

I am going to also trench/drain better down middle of both houses on my two sides.

Old 03-20-10, 02:30 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
As an individual, you do not have "every right" to obstruct the natural drainage pattern. This is usually well established. Just because it comes from their property is no excuse, because it probably did before you bought the land. If you dan up or divert the water, you could be responsible to others.

The only people that can do that are municipalities and governments when the build dams and/or flood property and they must pay for damages unless the property value is enhanced.

Dick

Old 03-21-10, 02:23 PM
P
What are ya bunch of lawyers on this site - if I wanted legal advice Id go on lawyer.com
Geeez get off the legal kick.
Like I said, anyways people grade their land all the time diverting water the way they want -

Just like many homeowners build up all around close to their foundation lots of dirt and slope off towards both adjacent houses and results in whoever is the lowest of the two - gets flooded with all the neighbor's water unless there's some gully/ditch/trench running down middle inbetween.

Anybody on here qualified to answer my landscaping question ?
My question is -
I'm still asking what is best material/combination to use build up a berm or ground on my side ?
- clay
- sand
- dirt
- sandbags convered/landscaped over with dirt.

I've read clay has least amount of porosity than others and is better for blocking/holding water.

Old 03-21-10, 03:10 PM
B
If you would ditch the attitude and consider what people are trying to tell you, then maybe someone would feel more comfortable providing you free advice.

Look, I'm trying to go forward with this thread and hope you will also.

If we can discuss the source of the water and where it would go with your plan, then perhaps we would both understand the others point of view.

You are correct that people build houses and landscape their property all of the time, essentially doing exactly what you would like. However, there are previous threads here about people hiring lawyers to sue due to their neighbor doing exactly what you are suggesting. Would it be proper for us to say, go for it. It was his water, so let him deal with it. I personally would never knowingly give someone wrong advice.

So, give us a better picture. If you created a barrier to block the water coming from his property, where would the water go? Is there a slope to the street on your property or his. Is the water coming from his property originating from somewhere else, ie a much larger area.

If his property has no outlet, then how high would be enough?

If flooding his property ends up in his basement, is he going to blame you?

As for an answer to your repeated question, it will depend upon the height, the nature of the water moving through, and the slope.

Bud

Old 03-21-10, 03:24 PM
P
No attitude here - aint looking for legalese
Bud drop your arrogant preaching too
Pretty simple question - no need to make it complicated
eithersomeone knows or not - end of story
If not just forget it

Old 03-21-10, 03:34 PM
B
End of story sounds really good to me. Sorry we couldn't give you the answer you wanted.

Bud

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: