Water issues and question on stump remover

Old 03-27-10, 08:44 PM
Water issues and question on stump remover

1) The gate to go into our backyard has a flood of water in front of it. Currently there are white rocks in a square shape that were put there to help with the muddy mess, but the water just over flows over it. I can't add more rocks or will make it impossible to open the gate. What can be done about this?

2) In the back corner of our back yard stays a swamp because the water runs down into this corner of this fence in yard. I have added dirt in the past and this did not seem to help. My wife is afraid of adding sand because we do have several cats in the area that like to get back there and we don't want it to turn into a kitty litter box. What can be done?

3) We have this small tree stump that grows underneath our fence. I have trimmed it back each year but its impossible to saw out because of the fence in the way. I know they make this tree stump remover that decomposes it naturally. My concern is we have a six month old small puppy (6 pounds)who plays in the back yard, would this hurt her if she was to get into it?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-10, 10:35 AM
First lets discuss your questions 1 and 2.

Both of these problems are caused by poor drainage. Without standing in your yard, I can't tell you exactly what the solution(s) could be but it will involve improving the drainage and controlling the flow of water on your lot.

The best way to improve the drainage in these areas is to install one or more 'french drains' to carry the water away from the flooded areas. Below is a link to a description of a french drain and you can find many more by Googling the subject.

Installing french drain and french drain installation

As you'll see the idea of a french drain is to carry the water slightly down hill from where you don't want it to a better drainage area. Many times it is difficult for a homeowner to direct the water from a low spot (ditch, street, etc.) and then the solution is to install a 'dry well' at the low point of the french drain. Below is a link describing a dry well:

How to Install a Dry Well | DoItYourself.com

In more than half of the drainage problems I've had, I was able to solve the problem with a drywell located where the flooding was. This saves digging the french drain, but you have to dig the dry well before you know if it works.

As to your third question, You'd have to look at the label of the different products. You say that you trim it back each year. that indicates it is still living. You would want to be sure it is dead before any product would work

Old 03-28-10, 02:25 PM
Thanks for your response, yes the tree is still living and one year we didn't trim it back and grew to be huge in one summer...

I went to Lowe's and asked and they said it only had a warning label for children but assummed if it was bad for children to be around, it wouldn't do good things to puppies either. They said that all chemicals would be the same situation.

They said the only other option was to burn away the wood but of course the stump is underneath our fence...which of course makes burning not an option.

Is there a way to kill the stump without using harmful chemicals? If it was dead and did not need trimming all the time, I wouldn't be concerned with it.

Old 03-28-10, 03:07 PM
Hi micahpe, Big Red has you covered with the water issue, as long as when you dig a hole, you don't strike water.

As for killing that tree, if you go with something you aren't happy about your puppies being near, add a small fence on the puppy side to keep them several feet away. It might have to be there for awhile.

Bud

Old 03-28-10, 04:22 PM
Originally Posted by micahpe View Post
Is there a way to kill the stump without using harmful chemicals? If it was dead and did not need trimming all the time, I wouldn't be concerned with it.
This year, as the new shoots from the stump leaf out, put weed killer (strong) on them. It may take a year or two, but it will die. It would be a good idea to follow Bud's advice about the second fence to keep the puppy away if you do this.

Old 03-29-10, 08:46 AM
How big (diameter) stump are you talking about? Can you "girdle" the stump down low near the ground? Girdling should kill it. What about just digging it out?