Blue spruces growing into patio...=(

Reply

  #1  
Old 04-03-10, 08:05 AM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: pewaukee, wi
Posts: 111
Blue spruces growing into patio...=(

Link to pics:
Picasa Web Albums - D - flowers


I have 11 blue spruces that I need to have removed. The previous owner planted them parallel to the street and not to our house so it took away 80% of our backyard.

They are getting so big that they are now growing into our patio..... We wanted to replace the spruces with a narrower type of tree. I wanted to get an idea of what we could replace them with in order to maintain our backyard space especially in our patio and also how much this would cost. Soon enough we will have to cut the spruce branches away from our patio.

Is it possible to have a tree removal company who is insured and bonded bring tree spade and to remove them along with cutting us some type of deal to give us a better choice? I wonder how much a 13-15 blue spruce is worth.
 
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 04-04-10, 07:46 AM
Member
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: North of Boston
Posts: 198
Ten years ago, in upstate New York, I was quoted $600 per tree for a tree service to use one those "spade trucks" to put six similar sized Norway Spruces at the back corner of our lot. He would get the trees from a farm about 15 miles north of us.

I think you'd have to have a situation where the tree service had the right equipment and a place to keep the trees until they found a buyer. It doesn't hurt to try.

I'd suggest you get a couple of quotes from firms that only have chainsaws to get a true comparison.
 
  #3  
Old 04-04-10, 07:53 AM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: pewaukee, wi
Posts: 111
Originally Posted by BigRedSoxFan View Post
Ten years ago, in upstate New York, I was quoted $600 per tree for a tree service to use one those "spade trucks" to put six similar sized Norway Spruces at the back corner of our lot. He would get the trees from a farm about 15 miles north of us.

I think you'd have to have a situation where the tree service had the right equipment and a place to keep the trees until they found a buyer. It doesn't hurt to try.

I'd suggest you get a couple of quotes from firms that only have chainsaws to get a true comparison.
A few people came by and told me since we have rocky soil that they would be willing to do it, but they might damage their equipment so they were hesitant.
 
  #4  
Old 04-04-10, 08:27 AM
Member
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: North of Boston
Posts: 198
In the end we didn't go ahead planting that size tree after the guy made certain we understood the lawn damage his truck would do.
 
  #5  
Old 04-04-10, 08:29 AM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: pewaukee, wi
Posts: 111
Originally Posted by BigRedSoxFan View Post
In the end we didn't go ahead planting that size tree after the guy made certain we understood the lawn damage his truck would do.
Is it a good idea to keep trimming the branches of the spruces? How much can I take off?
 
  #6  
Old 04-04-10, 09:41 AM
Member
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: North of Boston
Posts: 198
Originally Posted by dinosaur View Post
Is it a good idea to keep trimming the branches of the spruces? How much can I take off?
I pruned a Blue Spruce once to remove the lower branches and show the trunk. It didn't look too good after that.

When I Googled the subject it seemed that most of the 'advice' was to not prune it at all with a group of Christmas tree growers saying that they lightly shear the trees to make them thicker.

In short I don't know a specific answer to your questions, but it doesn't seem like a long term solution.

IMHO if you are going to stay in the house for a some time, bite the bullet now. Trees take a long time to grow.
 
  #7  
Old 04-04-10, 10:12 AM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: pewaukee, wi
Posts: 111
Originally Posted by BigRedSoxFan View Post
I pruned a Blue Spruce once to remove the lower branches and show the trunk. It didn't look too good after that.

When I Googled the subject it seemed that most of the 'advice' was to not prune it at all with a group of Christmas tree growers saying that they lightly shear the trees to make them thicker.

In short I don't know a specific answer to your questions, but it doesn't seem like a long term solution.

IMHO if you are going to stay in the house for a some time, bite the bullet now. Trees take a long time to grow.
you mean leave them as is? They are about 15 ft tall and once they grow on my patio I have to trim them....
 
  #8  
Old 04-05-10, 06:19 AM
Member
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: North of Boston
Posts: 198
No. I mean if you will have to get rid of them within a reasonable time you will stay in the house, cut them down right now and plant replacements (as you say you want to do).
 
Reply

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes
'