bridge

Old 04-02-10, 10:58 AM
E
Received 7 Upvotes on 7 Posts
bridge

I have to build a bridge that will span a small stream that I must be able to get my Simplicity Legacy tractor over. The tractor weighs about 1500 pounds with the loader and me. The span should be about 16 feet long and I would like to build it with wood. Would some 4 x 4's or 6 x 6's be enough to hold that weight?

Old 04-02-10, 11:57 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Probably if you use enough of them. I would bolt them together as opposed to nails or screws.

Old 04-02-10, 12:41 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Is the 16 ft. from shore to shore or does that allow X amount of space on either side to build support for your trusses?

Does the creek swell? how deep is it? Are you going to heighten the bridge "x" amount of ft (or inches) over the water? Will you ramp to and off the span?

16 ft is a good distance to cover and a lot of weight to support over that length.

How often is the bridge going to be used?

Old 04-03-10, 10:01 AM
E
Received 7 Upvotes on 7 Posts
riggstad, the bridge will be used everyday. The stream is about 5 inches deep (or shallow) where the bridge goes over. The 16 feet is from shore to shore and it will be ramped. When we have a very heavy rain the stream floods but has yet to go over the bridge that's there now. I built this one about 8 years ago and it seems to have gotten lower. I used 2 x 6 x 16 on each side and then covered them with 1 x 6 decking. However, when I built the bridge I put a couple big rocks in the middle of the steam for support for the bridge but it impedes the water flow and cause the are to be flooded during storms. I am trying to build a new one where I won't have to have supports in the middle but I don't know what size lumber I need. Old telephone poles would do well but I don't how I would move them. I use the bridge practically everyday and I just feel it has to be replaced or raised.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: