Spring Start-Up Question

Old 05-05-10, 10:55 AM
Spring Start-Up Question

For some reason, I can not figure out how to open my sprinkler system this spring.
This is my second year, but last fall had a different company winterize.

The problem lies with getting water to the pipes. Last year, I simply turned the main water valve counter-clockwise--I could hear the water pass through, and I was set.

This year, no such luck. In fact, the main water valve was left open. I'm definitely no expert, but how many different ways to winterize exist? Both valves on my backflow preventer are open. What to try first (I have tried contacting the company, but want to avoid a 'service visit')? Thanks in advance! --Ryan

Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-10, 07:23 PM
Since the main shut-off valve was left open, there should be water present at the inlet to the station valves. You should be able to start the stations either manually or with the timer.

The question becomes is there another shut-off valve someplace in the system (like where it tees off from the main supply line coming into the house) that they may have turned off? If it's a gate valve, then counter clockwise will turn it on. If it's a ball valve, set the handle parallel with the pipe and valve body.

Old 05-07-10, 11:08 AM
OK, now I believe it is actually an electrical problem. I am having the company that installed my system come out on Monday, since I am just at the end of the two-year warranty.